slc 500 counters

plcnewbie

I do not use the 500 very often to program just troubleshoot existing programs.

I am trying now to add a counter but all the counters seem to be used? Is there a limit? What can I do to get around this if anything? I am sure I am using the C5 file.

Open the Counter data file and click Properties, then increase the size of the Counter file. As eld101 said, you have to be offline to make the change.

-John

Thanks alot that will work. I didnt reallize I had to increae the size. I am used to 5000 where I just name stuff and it happens.:)

So then I guess to change it online then I will have to stop the machine that is running it to update the PLC?

BTW, don't just add one more counter. Add a bunch more. And while you are at it, check the other data files and increase as needed as well. You can click the usage button in each data file viewer to get an idea of how many addresses are available. That way you won't face the same problem again in the future. Unless you are running out of PLC memory there is no good reason to not leave lots of room in your data files.