1784-pcmk Ser. B will not start.

mduffney

Hi All just found this site by way of google new member.
If anyone can help.
I have a 1784-PCMK Series B card that will not start in my pcmcia slot. This cards used to work fine in my laptop, i checked it in another laptop and it recognized it right away? I have even tryed another 1784-pcmk ser B, and same problem.
I did see it listed it in my System Devices as "Can Not Start"
And of course my pcmcia slot lists as fine no conflicts.
Has anyone encountered this? possible solutions?

my system
Dell Latitude D810
OS XP Profesional
have Various Allen Bradley software loaded.
Linx Gateway Ver 2.41
Rslogix 5000 Ver 13.1,14.1
RsView ME Ver 4.0

Maybe your PnP Driver isn't loaded-make sure your PcmkWdm.inf and PcmkWdm.sys files are where they need to be. You can find them on the RSLinx CD:Redist\RSLinx\PnP_Drivers\Win2K\1784-PCMK.

i have the drivers.

thanks for that, i do have the drivers. However the pcmk card will not start, as if there is nothing in the pcmcia slot at all, and the card gets recognized immediatly on another lap top. I copied the drivers to the system32 driver folder but they do no good if the card isn't starting. It must be conflicting with something else on my computer just not sure what would inhibit it.

First, I hope your problem is not the one described below.

I know of at least 3 Dell 8600's that had a problem with the PCMCIA slots and the motherboard had to be replaced. Was your cable plugged in when this happened? There is some problem with the PCMK card pulling to much voltage on startup and blowing some component on the motherboard. BTW, ours used a PCMK/A.

The easiest way to test this is to get some other device and see if it works. I used a flash card adapter.

If that is the problem, get ready to jump through hoops and call Dell. I won't go into my long ordeal with getting this problem fixed but it was not pretty. I will say that in the last 2 years, Dell has worked hard on customer problems and relations and that should work in your favor.

What Dell did for us is extend the warranty to 3 years on one of our laptops and replaced another with a different model.

I copied the drivers to the system32 driver folder but they do no good if the card isn't starting.
It is not enough to just copy the drivers manually onto the PC.
When you insert the PCMK card the 1st time, the "found new hardware" dialog should start, and it should end with "New hardware succesfully installed". Do you get to this step ?

This happens frequently when people unplug the cable when not completely stopping the driver on our Toshiba PC's. You can unplug, replug as many times as you want, it will not work.
Stop the driver, remove the driver (I MEAN RSLINX driver) and insert the card into the next PCMCIA slot(Hopefully you have one). It will work right away after that.

Ya i do remember that being a possible solution. (Deleting the rslinx driver)
But unfortunately not it, i even rebooted after deleting the driver, still acts as if no card has been inserted. I only have the one pcmcia slot if that has anything to do with it.
Well i am really hoping this is not related to the note about dells and the motherboard, and afraid i just might have to get into that.
Is it possible to get an external pcmcia slot, via usb.

mduffney said:
Ya i do remember that being a possible solution. (Deleting the rslinx driver)
But unfortunately not it, i even rebooted after deleting the driver, still acts as if no card has been inserted. I only have the one pcmcia slot if that has anything to do with it.
Well i am really hoping this is not related to the note about dells and the motherboard, and afraid i just might have to get into that.
Is it possible to get an external pcmcia slot, via usb.
Do you mean that you uninstalled RSLinx ? It wont help. RSLinx is not the driver between the PC and the PCMK card.
Please answer post #6. Did you ever get the "Found new hardware" dialog ?

JesperMP said:
Do you mean that you uninstalled RSLinx ? It wont help. RSLinx is not the driver between the PC and the PCMK card.
Please answer post #6. Did you ever get the "Found new hardware" dialog ?
When i put the card in the pcmcia slot, there isn't a found new hard ware message. It is as if i have not plugged the card in at all. The driver i spoke of was the driver listed under config drivers in rslinx for a 1784-pcmk card, DH+. As i said earlier the card will not start or get recognized in the pcmcia slot. at a much earlier point in my trouble shooting i removed the windows drivers under system device manager. The windows drivers will not try and reload themselves unless it finds new device when i plug the card in which it does not. So i am not sure what could be stopping it from getting recognized in the pcmcia slot. I do not have another pcmcia card of any kind to plug in to check the slot either, to rule out it working or not.
as i mentioned before as well the 1784-pcmk card gets recognized immediatly in another laptop.

mduffney said:
The driver i spoke of was the driver listed under config drivers in rslinx for a 1784-pcmk card, DH+.
This is not the driver per se.

If you look in the Device Manager, is there an entry called "Allen Bradley PCMK family" or similar ?

If there is, then is there a question mark next to this entry ?
If there is, you should be able to see what it is conflicting with. You should also be able to remove the plug-and-play driver from here. If you get so far, you should be able to install the driver anew.

Look also for other suspicious entries in the Device Manager (yellow question marks).

If there is no "Allen Bradley PCMK" entry, then the PC cannot see your PCMK card at all.

Let's try something simple here.

Try some other manufacturer's pcmcia card in the slot and see if the slot works at all. Try a modem, LAN, or serial card. Surely someone you know has one of those lying around. I am betting the slot is dead and you will need to contact Dell on a replacement motherboard.

Davdi

The Allen Bradley card did appear with a question mark when i first started trying to correct this, because it was working before.
the message said can not start. when i checked the resources tab it said no conflicts.
and now as i have said the pc does not see the card in the slot at all.

The questions still stands what would inhibit the card from being recognized in the slot at all. I am considering uninstalling rslinx all together to see if the card shows up to make sure there is nothing corrupted in linx with unscheduled removal of the card inhibiting it.