serial interface communication

cmet

hi guys, I have to write a program to trigger and recieve data from a barcode reader via a serial interface (rs232) module plugged on et200s. The 3964 procedure is used. Anyone know the way to do it?

Thanks

Sorry,

what PLC did you say you were using?, I have done this before by using a basic module (TI 545) for the interface and out-porting the correct control sequence to poll the reader or printer.

We use Sick BCR's to S7-400 PLC's via Profibus.

What CP card you using and to what BCR. Are they intelligent BCR's.

The following link is to Siemens manuals for serial comms

http://support.automation.siemens.com/US/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo&foldersopen0=-176-177-178-229-299-300-&nodeID0=10805186&lang=en&siteid=cseus&aktprim=0&extranet=standard&objid=10805179&DataKey=10805179&basisview=17550905&viewLevel=6&wttree=cs&treeLang=en

That one is CP341, you may have CP340, all the manuals are there.

Our BCR's are intelligent and control the comms, they send heartbeats, data and diagnostic messages. All messages go the same buffer, there is a code for each type and then we do a comparison of the last of type to see if new message.

I did once using direct RS232 into the WAGO plc. they have a module that reads data using RS232C (model 750-650). but the programming is very tedious. I did this procedure using structured text, to convert integer to string and then hex to dec and vice versa, request receive/send, checksum calculation,broadcast etc just so it is able to read from the CCM and displayed onto a HMI via RS485. I hope I will never have to do another again..just kidding.:D

regards
Sherine T.

If my memory serves me right the 3964 protocol is a special, this will not talk to a barcode reader, however Siemens use to do an open protocol (for S5 anyways), this is configurable & will basically read anything that is thrown at it.

I'm using the ET200S IM151-7CPU of Siemens that included a cpu, and can run independently. The serial interface module is 1SI 3964/ASCII, this module can plugged to the et200s.
The barcode reader is DS4600A.

http://support.automation.siemens.com/US/llisapi.dll?query=+im1517-cpu&func=cslib.cssearch&content=skm%2Fmain.asp&lang=en&siteid=cseus&objaction=cssearch&searchinprim=0&nodeid0=10805179&x=12&y=5

I used the function for serial interface of Siemens and set the barcode reader to normally on mode, so the plc can "read everything that's thrown to it", but I can not controll the process by triggerring the barcode reader and counting the number of reading.

anyone faced the same problem before or have any advice ?

thank you so much

cmet
I could suggest to you to seek help from Siemens Singapore. let me know if you need the contact infomation then. I had been introduced by a system engineer at siemens. maybe he could help.

regards
Sherine

The way ours works is the barcode reader (BCR) itself does the timing.

The object with the barcode is moved along a conveyor, the object is tracked along the conveyor and the tracking signal is sent to both the PLC and the BCR. At a point before the BCR a sensor detects the object (signal only sent to BCR), this triggers the BCR to read, which it does for a timed period.

It does not send the result straight away, it waits until a pre-determined number of tracking pulses after the trigger and then sends. This enables two things:

1. The result is always sent at the same position.

2. As both the PLC and BCR are using the same tracking signal the PLC can match the result with the correct object. (the PLC tracks the object from PEC on previous conveyor).

I don't know your system, I would presume you would trigger the BCR from a digital signal but then again its possible a command over the comms, you would need to read the instruction manual of the BCR for that.

EDIT:

Just read the serial comms module manual, you can use ASCII protocol, maybe easier to a BCR than 3964.

Last edited:
cmet said:
hi guys, I have to write a program to trigger and recieve data from a barcode reader via a serial interface (rs232) module plugged on et200s. The 3964 procedure is used. Anyone know the way to do it?

Thanks

Peter, pardon my saying so but you allowed far too much leeway. There is no doubt in my mind you understood this...but for the rest of the world...what is et200 and 3964. NOTE: I know ET200 but not 3964.

Hello Ron;

Here is a short explanation of the serial 3964/3964(R) protocol, from the ET200 1SI serial interface module manual:

Serial_3964.jpg

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

jolio ST said:
cmet
I could suggest to you to seek help from Siemens Singapore. let me know if you need the contact infomation then. I had been introduced by a system engineer at siemens. maybe he could help.

regards
Sherine

thanks jolio, can you gieve me the contact .. Luckily, my company just moved right next to siemens centre in Spore. Fews day packing to move, I couldnt online..the problem is still there,since next week I will have to stick to it a again ..

thanks all for your help.

Hi,

maybe this link is helpful for you.
Download the file 'Disk1.exe' and run setup.
It contains a library with the funktionblocks;
the manuals and a sample-prog for ET200S Serial Interface.

regards
Rolf

I did once using direct RS232 into the WAGO plc. they have a module that reads data using RS232C (model 750-650). but the programming is very tedious. I did this procedure using structured text, to convert integer to string and then hex to dec and vice versa, request receive/send, checksum calculation,broadcast etc just so it is able to read from the CCM and displayed onto a HMI via RS485. I hope I will never have to do another again..just kidding.:D

regards
Sherine T.

Hi, If you have that program can you help me to share it. I am trying to find a barcode library to communicate with Wago PLC PFC 200 but still invain. Please help me.
Thank you

You may want to start a new thread with your question in more detail and showing what you have so far. That may be more useful than reviving a 15 year old thread.