Need Panelbuilder 32 H/O/A Template

You could do something like this

manual.gif

Ok

Thanks for the clarification. First of all, our corporate standard encourages us to keep all controls in the PLC, and whenever possibly to use the HMI as just that. This is done in case comms between the HMI and the PLC loses connection. Because of this, my suggestion as to how this would be accomplished at our facility would be to have 3 N.O. pushbuttons on the screen. Since your PV supporst both touchscreen and has pushbuttons, it is basically your choice. These NO pushbuttons would toggle the mode logic in the PLC. You can either have a master indicator showing the current value of the machine state, or, if a touchscreen is used, our standard is to make the display tag of the pushbuttons the actual machine status file. For example, lets say that in a SLC your machine status is N7:0.

States are 0=Off, 1=Auto, and 2=Hand.
By making the display tag of all the touchscreen buttons N7:0, you can easily show which button was hit last, and what mode you are in.

I hope this is clear enough. It's a very simple system, which leaves the door open for customization, but has served us quite well.

B_W_D,

I have a 2 pos. selector switch GIF. Maybe a little photoshop will get you a 3 POS. Enjoy! Doesn't PB32 require a BMP? Cant upload the BMP on this forum.

BD
SSLeft.gif

SSRight.gif

Leave the OFF position out. This will give the operator the impression that he can turn the machine or operation of the machine off with the HMI which could cause a safety issue.

What is wrong with Manual/Auto? I like it better and I feel it is more clear. I don't think I have had an operator not ask me what HAND means on machines that come in with those labels

I have customers who specify Hand / Off / Auto

Also have those that only want Manual / Auto as well

Then there are those that require both!

Depends on the app really.

Bobwithdana :

have you some sort of specifix graphic in mind ?

If so post a hand pic of it and ill see what i can do for you.

Maybe someone can answer this question regarding Hand/Off/Auto circuits: Is it true that OSHA requires a two step operation to go from HAND mode to AUTO mode?

This means if machine is in HAND mode and want to go to AUTO mode you'll need to first press the OFF button and then the AUTO button.

If it is in AUTO mode you can directly to HAND by pressing the HAND button.

I was told that specifically in press applications this was a requirement. Is this also true for other machinery/applications?

I've never heard of this being an OSHA requirement. However, I think that when allowing someone to do this, you need to make sure that you don't exceed the physical limits of the machine. You, lets say an axis is being jogged in one direction, then, when switched to auto it is told to execute a move in the opposite direction. This may cause drive faults, as well as excessive wear. Typically, if this type of thing is allowed, the machine will be programmed to recognize when it is ok to enter auto mode.

dogleg43 said:
Maybe someone can answer this question regarding Hand/Off/Auto circuits: Is it true that OSHA requires a two step operation to go from HAND mode to AUTO mode?

This means if machine is in HAND mode and want to go to AUTO mode you'll need to first press the OFF button and then the AUTO button.

If it is in AUTO mode you can directly to HAND by pressing the HAND button.

I was told that specifically in press applications this was a requirement. Is this also true for other machinery/applications?

Not sure of an absolute requirement (I Do it out of habit now), but our GM and Chrysler powertrain customers expect the following on our presses and machines:

MODE RESET - to clear Auto or Manual Mode before selecting the other
MANUAL MODE or AUTO MODE
SINGLE CYCLE or CONTINUOUS CYCLE (choose before pressing CYCLE START)
CYCLE START and CYCLE STOP

Delph Kettering required us to add a redundant AUTO / MANUAL selector switch that had to agree with the Panelview selection.

Last edited:
jstolaruk vbmenu_register("postmenu_172836", true); :

Your comment matches my experience in the automotive field. HMI's were setup this way. Small PLC-based machinery that did not have HMI's all had H/O/A switches on them. For some reason this "Off" mode drove the IT guys crazy when they tried to hook up a data collection system.