loading software

I have not, technically have not used RSL5000. I assume you want to put in on a separate drive so you can use it with a laptop in the field and desktop when not. This could be tricky but may work as long as the activation is also on that drive. I am not sure how to do it though, maybe I will try it with RSL500 to see.

I kind of like that concept, put all the plc software on an external hdd and use it with any computer...sounds good. With hdds being relatively inexpensive this could resolve many issues that some think require the use of virtual pc software. I still have not figured out why so many think that is needed.

Last edited:
No problem installing RSLogix5000 on an external harddrive. There is really no functional difference to an internal one.

The A-B activation file can be on any drive that is accessible(talking about the old A-B activation file here, not the Fatory Talk stuff).

However, trying to run the software from a different computer will give you problems. The reason is the registry is not on that external drive. Basically, the software isn't installed on the other computer. Now if you do identical installs on multiple computers you may be able to make them share the same external drive with software loaded. However, I think you are making it harder than it needs to be. The external drive is generally slower to access, so it has a performance penalty associated with it as well.

If you want to use the software on two computers (one at a time of course) I recommend that you load the software local on both machines. Use the external drive for data (like PLC programs) that can be shared without problems. You can put your activation file on the external drive. (This is for A-B, I have no idea what works for Seimens).

The reason Peter and others are using virtual PCs to load PLC software is that the different manufacturers have a habit of stepping on each other's toes when installing complex software. The virtual PC eliminates this because each instance of a virtual machine has its own operating system and its own registry. Basically, if they won't play well with each other - make then play by themselves.

Last edited:
Siemens licence management doesn't allow you to store authorizations/licence keys on external HDD connected via USB/FireWire. For Step7 they have to be in the local HDD where the software is installed or on the network drive.
New licence keys(Step7 V5.3 or above) can be moved to another PC via floppy, network or USB sticks.
I don't think that installation of Step7 on external drive's is a good idea. Like mellis stated above they are slower then internal HDD. Take a look how many files Step7 opens during startup and when you are working with projects (sometimes more then 1000 for complex projects).

I disagree with most of the above, especially the Siemens thing, I have Siemens installed with activation, now, on an external USB drive.

As for it not being installed, that is simple, copy the CD to the drive and in a few minutes it can be installed on any comp the drive is attached too.

They are about half the speed of internal drives but overall you will not notice a difference
You do realize a network drive can be local?

Ok, I've forgot about changes that Siemens still mades in licence management. Now they can be installed on any local drive and network drive. The only problem that may arise, that external drive is reported to system as removable (Licence Manager sometimes trates them like CD and will not install authorization).

Thanks Guys

My problem is the customers are now asking us to start using the rs5000 and step7 processors so I was looking for a cheep way out to have all my systems with me when I travel. I never know what processors I will be working with untill I get to the plants. Unlike our Eng. department I must keep the old softwares as well as the new stuff. I do know that in the not too distant future I will probably be carrying two laptop's one with the old stuff and one for the softwares that will not run on old O.S.
Thanks again.