How to pop up window from PLC in RSViewSE?

jtn

I thought I could open a message window in RSViewSE using an event and the 'Display' command, but when the bit in the PLC goes high I get a message saying that command is ignored when issued from the HMI server. How do I pop up a window in RSVeiwSE when a PLC bit goes high? I also need the window to close on all yhe clients when the button on the popup window is clicked.

Last edited:
When you say "open a message window," are you referring to an RSView SE display that you created, or a Windows pop-up box?

If it's a Windows-type pop-up box, you can do this using VBA.

Rick

I'm guessing that you're trying to prove that the change of tag triggers the message by testing the application in RSViewStudio. You need to create a client connection, run it and use that to test the application.(You'll get the same error message however you try to issue a "display" command in RSViewStudio.)

PhilipW said:
Does SE not have an Event's functionality that will do this for you?

The 'Display command does not work in the events section if the code. An error appears saying that this command cannot be run from the server - so I'm guessing that the events and macros are run in the server environment and not the client environment.

rPraveenkum said:
you can create local message option

This would be the cleanest way to do it, however this is an existing application that was imported. There is no place to put the message object that would be seen no matter what screen is open, and to put it on every screen would be a ton of work - also the customer wants it to work like it did in the old system, i.e. pop window that you have to click an acknowledge window for it to disappear.

NOP said:
I'm guessing that you're trying to prove that the change of tag triggers the message by testing the application in RSViewStudio. You need to create a client connection, run it and use that to test the application.(You'll get the same error message however you try to issue a "display" command in RSViewStudio.)

No, this is actual running system - redundant servers each with clients and 3 remote clients.

Sorry, I was in rush and didn't put it very well; the "display" command must be executed from within the Client and that essentially means by VBA within a graphic.

Quick and dirty method; create a numeric display object which shows the trigger tag, r-click on it and select "Expose to VBA", use the following code

Private Sub Popup( )
If NumericDisplay1.Value = 1 Then Application.ExecuteCommand("Display popup")
End Sub

The "proper" way would be to create a tags collection, populate it and then detect changes in the tags'values to display/abort the screen but that's too much like hard work on a Friday afternoon.