Harsh Environment

Greg Dake

Greetings everyone. I have an application which requires an HMI in a harsh environment. Normally I don't put HMI's in harsh environments, but I have a case where there isn't much of a choice. Our in house standard is to use AB's PanelView Plus line. Does anyone have any history of one installed in a harsh location and how it's holding up? What about other manufacturers HMI's in harsh environments? I know the PV+ is NEMA 4/4X rated as long as it's installed correctly. Curious how the touch membrane holds up.

To quantify harsh environment I mean acid and caustic vapors from CIP operations, dust, and high humidity.

Stainless bezel would also be ultimate...

TIA,

Greg

We have used panelview and pv+ displays for many years in harsh environments on the machines my company manufactures. They have been very, almost scarily, reliable. One thing that I have always been concerned about was that they rate as NEMA 4X some models that have a painted aluminum chassis but so far I do not know of any issues we have had.

One project that I have been involved in has had a Versaview 15" display in an area where 3 times a day it was sprayed down using a 2% (?)peroxide solution and it still functions perfectly. There is a slight clouding of the display but this is only noticable when you have another model that has had an easier life near by. It still looks better than some of the other brands of HMI screens out of the box.

If you need only infrequent access to the touch screen except for viewing then you might consider putting the HMI inside the enclosure and using a window enclosure and mount the HMI on a dead front panel inside the enclosure.

If the operators need to access the screen for adjustment or screen changes then an option is using one of the hinged window kits (like Hoffman APWK series. These are available in 4X as well.

I've installed touchscreens in meat processing plants where there is nightly chemical cleaning of everything. I've used Advantech and VersaView touchscreens. We installed the screen in a 24x24x8 Stainless box and mounted it inside a 30x36x12 box leaving enough room below for a keyboard rack. TI harsh environment keyboard. Normally the operators worked with the door for the outer enclosure open, and closed it during clean-up. I've also added low pressure air purges to keep stuff from migrating in to the PC.

We have several standard panelviews installed with the hinged window that Tom mentioned in very harsh environments. Ours are setup so that the panelview is more of a display and the operators do not need to access them much. With a panelview+, however I think you can hook up a keyboard for the operator input and thus prevent the need to use the touch screen.

One difference between the Standard Panelview and the Panelview Plus that may or may not matter in your application is the Standard Panelview is certified for hazardous environments, Class 1 Division 2, and the Panelview Plus is not. I don't know if this has anything to do with their sealing or not

I have had a Panelview + in operation for over a year in fairly nasty enviroment.. Subject to high humidity, washdown, chemicals etc.. i had a couple of problems at first but that turned out to be the enclosure allowed water to trickle down the back side and into the unit, New gaskets and a drip shield above the unit worked wonders.. The other unit i have had good succes with is Cutler Hammers Panelmate..They are available in a stainless steel finish but i have had 6 in operation at the same plant as the panelview with no issues, and those are 4x powder coat...

Siemens TP177B INOX

Siemens has a new touch panel for food and beverage accounts - I have not used it, but it is a

"TP177B INOX (inoxydable, rustproof with stainless steel front) IP66K degree of protection. The decorative foil of the TP 177 is resistant against the customary cleaning agents and disinfectants of the pertinent industry, if they are applied in accordance to the manufacturer's instructions and permissible concentration levels."

Not sure it will work for your application, but worth a look. 6AV6 642-8BA10-0AA0