IP Quick change software

R_C

Do any of you guys know of a shareware that will allow me to change my IP with one click? Going from the shop floor to my office I am constantly changing my IP I would really like something faster.

Not really what you are asking for but I have been using our wireless network for office use and then my hardware e-net port is free to use on machine programming.
We installed a WAP in the shop so I can continue my link to the office network even when I'm out working on a piece of equipment.

Hi,
I dont know of any utility, I use netsh from the command line and dump my network config to a .txt file and then restore it as i need.

E.G

Type cmd in the Run dialog

Navigate to the root of C:\ if needed

To save your current Network Settings to a file called "example" (you could call it what you like)

type netsh dump > example.txt

On your Drive you will have a file containing your settings

Change your Network settings and create another .txt file as above.

Once you have all your settings saved to .txt files use the following commands to switch,

netsh exec > example.txt

Works like a charm ( i change IP settings daily!!)

Hope this helps

Last edited:
In Windows XP, go into the Network Connections then bring up the Properties of your network connection, then the Properties of the Internet (TCP/IP) configuration.

This is probably where you're accustomed to changing the IP address of this Network connection.

There's another tab: "Alternate Configuration". This will let you set up your shop address and configuration and the computer should switch between the two when you move it.

I don't personally use this; instead I have a separate PCMCIA network adapter I connect to the shop network. I also use that adapter for analysis tools with no IP address or protocols bound to it, so that's a reasonable approach for me.

[adder] Excellent hint, STL !

Last edited:
For Windows XP, have you tried going to the TCP/IP Properties, and assigning a second IP/Subnet to the 'Alternate Configuration' ?
That will allow the TCP/IP stack to see two completely seperate networks all the time.

To add,

I normally do this with my laptop disconnected from any Network resource (just disconnect any network cables from your PC/laptop).

I have to change between 5 different Networks - Robots, Office,PLC's etc, if you need just one other alternative, then use the other suggested methods.

Regards
STL

Last edited:
Last edited:
rdrast said:
For Windows XP, have you tried going to the TCP/IP Properties, and assigning a second IP/Subnet to the 'Alternate Configuration' ?
That will allow the TCP/IP stack to see two completely seperate networks all the time.

This only works if the default setting is DHCP. If you have static IP address, then the alternate is not available.

Oakley said:
This only works if the default setting is DHCP. If you have static IP address, then the alternate is not available.

Even better. In that case, you can go to the advanced settings button, and add a bunch of additional networks on the IP Settings tab.

Ken Roach said:
In Windows XP, go into the Network Connections then bring up the Properties of your network connection, then the Properties of the Internet (TCP/IP) configuration.

This is probably where you're accustomed to changing the IP address of this Network connection.

There's another tab: "Alternate Configuration". This will let you set up your shop address and configuration and the computer should switch between the two when you move it.

I don't personally use this; instead I have a separate PCMCIA network adapter I connect to the shop network. I also use that adapter for analysis tools with no IP address or protocols bound to it, so that's a reasonable approach for me.

[adder] Excellent hint, STL !
You guys always make me feel like a dork. This method works great thanks again

I like it... I'd never seen the netsh command before, but I'm definitely going to play around with it. (and running it from a bat file seems the best way to me)

That way I can just setup ummmm 3???? different bat files for the different areas that I have to configure things for, and just run the batch file when getting ready to talk to the network.

Great tip guys!