Help, IE6 is driving me nuts!

Vetteboy

I know this isn't PLC related, but if any XP XPerts can help me it would be appreciated. I let windows update over the internet all the time so I always have the latest software. I noticed a couple days ago after an update that I'm not able to open any new instances of IE when browsing. Half the stuff I look for is supposed to come up in a new window and I get nothing. I don't have "popup" killing software or anything, so I am suspecting Microsoft had made a change. Does anyone else know about this? When I go to MS support to ask a question, IE kills that window too.

Thanks in advance

Vetteboy

Thanks RS, but I guess I'm stuck. That link won't work for me, so I saved target and checked it out at microsoft, close but no cigar. Oh well, I'll figure it out somehow....

Vetteboy

I couldnt find a specific issue stating not being able to open more than one window but there are many issues on this subject. Have you tried a repair of IE?

Hey Vette,

I have a coupla idears. RS is right in trying to 'repair'. You go to start/control panel, then click on add/remove programs, then find ie in that list. Then, you click on 'remove' (don't panic...) and in new window, select repair. Hopefully that will do it for you.

If not, here are a few more options, but not guaranteed. How To Repair Internet Explorer 6 : 1) Click Start, then Run...then type (you can copy/paste this next line if you wish): rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt
Then press Enter.
2) Select "Repair Internet Explorer, then hit OK.

Also, if you can view this page, it has some good info on how to fix ie... How to fix internet explorer in windows xp http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/howto-03.html

If all this fails, then go to the windows update site again, then find 'view installed updates'. Find the update that is giving your problems, and remove that update. Try to do this with this route, if you try and remove manually or with add/remove programs, you will create more issues. They tie ie into the windows operating system.

Hope this helps.

Hoot

Netscape Revisited

Well, it's been years, but I am now using Netscape 7.0 and it seems pretty good so far. Nothing I've tried (everything suggested here and more) or researched has gotten IE to work right. I was using Netscape back when Bill Gates said the internet was "just a fad, like CB radios were in the '70s", so I guess I'll be netscaping for awhile......

Thanks guys,

Vetteboy