SST_PFB_SLC card on a slow Profibusnet

JERA

Have anyone experience with setup of a SST_PFB_SLC card on a slow Profibusnet??

We have a problem to get a SST Profibus scanner in a SLC500 system to work on a slow Profibus system.

The system is build up like this:
From the scanner we are going to the link and in the other end of the link we have the 2 nodes placed. (We are using the link to pass a water canal)

We can see that the fault is that the speed of the scanner is to high and therefore we have been trying at to change the timing and delay the Profibus scanner to get it working (the link only is running with 9600 bps due to the distance)

So have anyone hints to adjust / settings for the SST_PFB_SLC on a slow Profibusnet?

If you don't have the manual for the SST-PFB-SLC module, you can get one off of their web site. It will explain how to change the card configuration (baud rate, etc.) using Hyperterminal and a null-modem cable thru the module's config port.

mgvol said:
If you don't have the manual for the SST-PFB-SLC module, you can get one off of their web site. It will explain how to change the card configuration (baud rate, etc.) using Hyperterminal and a null-modem cable thru the module's config port.

I have the manual and the configuration tool for the card – so thanks for the offer

We have been working on this problem for 2 days to get it to work, and now we need a hint or settings from someone there have this working.

JesperMP said:
Where do you "see" this ?
We are getting an overflow error on the link control.
This overflow is due to no buffer in the link control and the scanner is running with to high speed and sending “telegrams” to fast.

You are not providing a lot of info to work on here.
It sounds like you want to make some kind of master-to-master comminucation, or maybe I am wrong ?
Please specify exactly what kind of system you have in all details, and what it is that you want to achieve.

"The speed of the scanner is too high". Do you mean the baudrate ? Or is it the rate of the telegrams ? Or ?

JesperMP said:
You are not providing a lot of info to work on here.
It sounds like you want to make some kind of master-to-master comminucation, or maybe I am wrong ?
Please specify exactly what kind of system you have in all details, and what it is that you want to achieve.

"The speed of the scanner is too high". Do you mean the baudrate ? Or is it the rate of the telegrams ? Or ?
The system is build up like this.
The scanner is placed in a SLC rack and from the SST scanner the net are going to the link and in the other end of the link there is 2 nodes placed. (The link is used to pass a water canal)

The link is a Phoenix Contact PSI-WL-RS232-RS485 Bluetooth link (order number 2708517).

The node in the other end is 1 Siemens ET200M node and 1 Siemens Multiranger (level measurer)

(Attached picture of the configuration)

(It is not us there have built / configured the system, we are only put on the job to get this thing to work properly)

The scanner is set to baud rate 9600 (same as the link), so this must be ok. So it can be the rate of the telegrams due to no buffer in the link.
We have been trying with a token time on 30 sec and a long slot time, but with no result.

Last edited:
Hi again JERA

1st exclude the Phoenix Bluetooth link from the system.
As a test, connect the multiranger with an ordinary Profibus cable in stead of the Bluetooth link.

If this resolves the problem then you have an issue with the timedelay in the Phoenix Bluetooth link.
Has this Phoenix Bluetooth link ever been used in a Profibus installation before ? Contact Phoenix and explain them the problem.
I know that there exists dedicated wireless Profibus devices (from Satel for example). Maybe this can be an alternative to that Phoenix Bluetooth link.

If the direct cable does not resolve the problem, then use the diagnostics in the SST system to pinpoint the error (actually I do not know the SST module, but I assume that there is some kind of diagnostics).

JesperMP said:
Hi again JERA

1st exclude the Phoenix Bluetooth link from the system.
As a test, connect the multiranger with an ordinary Profibus cable in stead of the Bluetooth link.

If this resolves the problem then you have an issue with the timedelay in the Phoenix Bluetooth link.
Has this Phoenix Bluetooth link ever been used in a Profibus installation before ? Contact Phoenix and explain them the problem.
I know that there exists dedicated wireless Profibus devices (from Satel for example). Maybe this can be an alternative to that Phoenix Bluetooth link.

If the direct cable does not resolve the problem, then use the diagnostics in the SST system to pinpoint the error (actually I do not know the SST module, but I assume that there is some kind of diagnostics).

We have taken equal nodes and connected them directly to the scanner and with default setting we can get things to work.
So it is a mater of timing between scanner and the link there is the problem.

I have contact with Contact Phoenix and have now received a “cookbook” with the recipe of setting the system up for use with Siemens Step7.

So now I have to try with the settings from the recipe and use them in the setup of the scanner.

In Step7 setup they are using setting for a 5900 km fiberoptic cable with 100 OLM/OBT. o_O

AutomaattiAntti said:
Is Profibus now working with Buetooth??
You can get the Phoenix Contact PSI-WL-RS232-RS485 Bluetooth link (order number 2708517) to work with Profibus, but it is slow.
Phoenix Contact says in the manual that the link is like a 5600 KM optic kabel with 100 repeaters = max speed : 93.75 Kbps.

JesperMP said:
JERA.

Have you got it working now ?
NO - we have now giving up using the link, and are making the link with Ethernet.

It is also due to new functions in the system that we are switching over to Ethernet.
The new setup is with the SLC 500/5 as master and MicroLogix 1100 as slave.

Thanks to Jesper and his cookbook! My Profibus configuration is now working. I have S7-300 CPU and TP170 panel in Profibus.
Actually my original idea was use Bluetooth link in MPI bus but it does not work. ANY IDEA??

Hi AutomaattiAntti.

Do you want to make a connection between HMI and PLC via some kind of wireless ?
I dont know why it does not work when you put a Bluetooth link in between, but I would guess that it has to do with the timing of the signals.

Satel (from Finland !) makes wireless Profibus equipment.
You could also go via Ethernet, which opens up a whole range of possibilities, but expect this to be "not cheap".