A-B panelview 550

rangell

I have a pv-550 tied to a slc-503. The pv-550 has an alarm banner programmed. The problem I am having is that the machine operators are not clearing the alarm banner before they start the machine. Is there a way that I can have a bit set when the alarm banner pops up, and then tie that bit to my ladder program in the slc? This way the operator has to clear the alarm banner before the machine will start.

Well, if you have an existing alarm that is triggering your popup, then you have answered your own question. (the alarm tag).
If you are talking about an acknowlege button, yes. You can create invisible button and place it behind the acknowlege button on the alarm banner screen. I have used this type of thing a lot in the old PV days.
Personally, I never really liked the way that PB32 dealt with the alarm window thing. Maybe there is a better way......

"Personally, I never really liked the way that PB32 dealt with the alarm window thing. Maybe there is a better way......"

Depending on the system I have sometimes used a multistate indicator and set it to a global object. Place it at the bottom of most screens. Then have logic that cycles through all the active alarms and write the appropriate value to the integer that the multi-state indictor is monitoring for X-seconds. If there are no active alarms the indictor is set to a value that displays an all is good message with a green background. This is usually for simple machines that the operator is not required to acknowledge the alarms. When the alarm no longer exists it stops displaying the messages.

The PLC should tell the PV what to display and what NOT to display. When the alarm is cleared (by whatever means, HMI, PB, etc) in the PLC, the PLC should tell the PV not to display the alarm banner.

Personally, I never really liked the way that PB32 dealt with the alarm window thing. Maybe there is a better way......
Our machines don't display alarm banners. They switch to a separate screen when an alarm occurs, with an alarm list. The plc keeps it on that screen for about half a second then releases screen selection control back to the operator. That way, you can have multiple alarm displayed all at the same time.