communicating with usb

simongeorge

I am using laptop without comport,can anyone please tell me how to communicate siemens S5 PLC with USB port ? is there any special drivers required ? and in the S5 software, I have few options like com 1 , com2, sonder com1, sonder com2 etc. but no USB selections.
Kindly suggest...

Never having worked with S5, I'm going a bit out on a limb here, but given the age of S5, I very much doubt if you would find a CPU or CP that has USB functionality.

I'm quite prepared to be told I'm wrong, though! :D

You need a USB to serial adapter. This has been a topic of discussion in several threads. The trick is to find a converter that is compatable with the Siemens Line of equipment. (Essentially, the Serial port is EMULATED through the USB port, so the S5 software will not really care about the USB converter....)
I currently have a Toshiba Tecra S3 that IS has given me for testing without a serial port. I have a cheap USB to serial converter amd In std ascii communications, it works between computers fine. In AB software, I cannot get the RS-232 to communiciate at all. Most likely, Siemens won't either....but don't quote me on this.
I think it is a Computer compatability problem.
Do some Siemens searches.

DO S5 work with windows 2000 ? I have installed it on another laptop with windows 2000 but there is no program shown program menu ?

As I use usb to serial " Aten " there is no problem with plc "Mitsubishi "
but for Siemens ,(I try with S7)Also, AB slc100 fail in communication .
Let try with the answer above.

I'm using notebook HP nx6125 without COM port for S5 programming at work.

my configuration is:
OS - WinXP
Soft - PG2000
USB to COM converter - PL2303 chip based
RS232-TTY converter - siemens 6ES5 734-1BD20

The key problem is USB-COM converter choosing.

There are a lot chips of USB-COM converter:
PL2303 from Profilic
PL2303X from Profilic
СP2101, CP2102, CP2103 from SiliconLabs (before Signal)
TUSB3410 from TI
FT232AM, BM, BL from FTDI
KL5KUSB116 from Kawasaki
and PIC with USB port based (this kind is conceptual familiar to TUSB3410).

I have tested some of them:
FT232AM and PL2303 are working with S5 perfectly,
CP2101 and PL2303X are not working with S5.

PL2303 and PL2303X are using the same driver, so you chould chek your USB-COM converter by UVCView.x86.exe from Microsoft.
If bMaxPacketSize0 is:
64 - chip is PL2303X
8 - chip is PL2303.

I have not tried with Step 5. What I do know is that they are a physical port as far as the PC is concerned, where many times USB to serial converters are seen an virtual ports. This is because it is hardware based and not emulated RS232.

Regards,

Hi,
Get a USB to serial adapter from any shop in Lamington Road. It costs only around Rs.300/= Works fine for all PLCs. I too am using it for Allen Bradely, GE Fanuc etc.