PanelView 900 & 5/04

RBergmann

I have an installation from 1999 with a PanelView 900 color touchscreen and a 5/04 PLC.

The original programming was performed with RSLogix 500 and Panelbuilder software using a 1747-PIC.

The 1747-PIC is missing. I have a new 1747-CP3 cable, and using a DF1 connection have successfully downloaded program revisions to the 5/04. What I cannot seem to do is connect to the PanelView via the serial port. Currently I am using PanelBuilder32.

The PanelView is on a DH+ connection with the 5/04.

I'm looking for a method to connect to the PanelView and download the updated screens either through a direct connection or through the 5/04. I really don't want to purchase one of those $1700 PCMIA/cable configurations. Like to do it with the serial cable but will entertain a 1747-PIC box if necessary.

Thanks,
... rab

Don't forget the PCMCIA memory card as a download option to the PanelView. I do it all the time. Saves me dragging my laptop to the plant floor...

Greetings RBergmann,

first of all, the same “null modem” cable that works with the serial port on the SLC will NOT work with the PanelView ... however, a “straight-through” serial cable probably will ... try that first ... if that doesn’t work, then please post your exact catalog number from the back of the PanelView ... for example: 2711-???? ... I’m going by memory here, but I think that some DB9 connections which seem to be “serial ports” are actually “printer ports” instead ... if so, they cannot be used for programming ...

finally ... the “passthrough” technique shown in this post might be useful for going from the SLC’s serial port over to the DH+ network ...

good luck ...

PS edit ...

The original programming was performed with RSLogix 500 and Panelbuilder software using a 1747-PIC.

sorry ... neither the SLC-5/04 nor the DH+ PanelView would have used a PIC for communications ... I doubt that this is an issue for the task at hand - but there's definitely some confusion here ...

Last edited:
Jimmie_Ohio said:
Don't forget the PCMCIA memory card as a download option to the PanelView. I do it all the time. Saves me dragging my laptop to the plant floor...
Not sure what this might be. Do you mean something like a CF or slot type of memory card like you'd find in a camera? I've not seen PCMIA ports on an OIT (HMI). If so, then the existing PanelView may be too old for this port to be available. The installation is from 1999.

... rab

Seems like I ran into this problem before. Make sure serial port/comm is not used by another program like RSLinx PIC driver loaded, or check system tray for Palm software or anything else running in background. I made my own cable. That CP3 cable should be correct. Just regular TX RX. Good Luck!!!!

Ron Beaufort said:
Greetings RBergmann,

first of all, the same “null modem” cable that works with the serial port on the SLC will NOT work with the PanelView ... however, a “straight-through” serial cable probably will ... try that first ... if that doesn’t work, then please post your exact catalog number from the back of the PanelView ... for example: 2711-???? ... I’m going by memory here, but I think that some DB9 connections which seem to be “serial ports” are actually “printer ports” instead ... if so, they cannot be used for programming ...

finally ... the “passthrough” technique shown in this post might be useful for going from the SLC’s serial port over to the DH+ network ...

good luck ...

PS edit ...

sorry ... neither the SLC-5/04 nor the DH+ PanelView would have used a PIC for communications ... I doubt that this is an issue for the task at hand - but there's definitely some confusion here ...

The reason I think that I used a 1747-PIC in the original download is that I don't do a lot of AB programming and this sticks in my head. Until earlier this year, using a CompactLogix and a PanelView Plus, my last AB project was the one in 1999. Maybe a little program modification on a MicroLogix or two, but not much more (if anything). Maybe you're right about the "serial" port on the PanelView. Perhaps it is a printer connection. How else might I have programmed through the PLC? I know that I didn't use an expensive connector.

rsdoran said:
If the SLC/04 is OS401 or above and the PV has FRN 3.3 or higher then you can do pass thru: http://domino.automation.rockwell.c...99?OpenDocument

It may be cheaper to look at upgrading to those levels, if not at them, for use in the future.
The odd thing about this project is that once the download is completed, there's another integrator that's comming in to replace the PanelView 900 with a new PanelView Plus 1000. My screens will then be imported into RSView and downloaded into the new OIT. This is rather silly (I could do the conversion myself). The powers that be will not allow us to work together on this part of the project. Bottom line is that I just want to dump the revisions in and leave.

New information: The part number and data on the PanelView is: 2711-T9C8, Series C, Rev. F, FRN 3.30.

Last edited:
Thanks to all the help. Especially to rsdoran and Ron Beaufort. I returned to the job site yesterday (9/5) and following the recommendations of the KnowledgeBase article for PLC5/04 DF1 passthrough to a DH+ PanelView, was able to get my work downloaded and finish up my part of the project.

rsdoran led me to the KB item (followed it to a 'T' and it worked) and Ron Beaufort's comments, and reference to an earlier posting of his, kept me from trying to use the DB-9 printer port on the PanelView for downloading.

... rab