bit shift instructions

AGENTTINFOIL

Hello all,
It has been awhile since I have been on. Currently working on a simulator trying to learn bit shifting and how it applies to a bottle line. The Simulator is Logixpro which is based off Allen Bradley RsLogix 500. Most of the programming I have done so far has been Direct Logic PLC's and I am currently trying to learn AB. This simulator seems to be a good tool but the lessons are not very user friendly to teach you instructions. so I guess I am hoping to find someone to give me some direction to help me understand how to use the instructions in bit shifting. any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Travis

Well now that I understand bit shifting and how they apply to tracking parts, here is my next question. Can you reset the data table or the array? For example lets say that when production is over and at the start of a new shift when the conveyor is started again, how can I keep the bottles from being sorted incorrectly? I have noticed that the data table is left with the bits from the last run, and the first several bottles get sorted incorrectly until the correct bits catch up. That leaves me wondering if it is possible to reset the table at the beginning of a fresh run. So far my program is working fairly well but this is the issue that I am having trouble solving.

Agent,

The LogixPro does not give you complete control over all variables, as you would have in a real PLC. You can click "Simulations", "Reset Simulations", but this leaves the old bottles in place. The best solution I have found so far is to run the line 5 seconds after Stop is pressed, as shown here. Contact from the Off Delaly Timer T4:0 are used to keep the Divert Conveyor and the Bottle Grinder running 5 more seconds. All other problems can be handled by other methods.
Bottle_Line_Run-After_Stop.jpg

Last edited:
it has been awhile sence i have used Logix Pro but i believe you can reset the dat tables under the simulation table

do this at the start of a new run

Ah!! no wonder. thanks guys. I have been using reset simulation, but I was hoping to program a solution. But after Lancie's explanation I see that is more than likely not possible. Thanks again

Sean, Yes that is correct, you can reset the data tables. I think Agent's problem is that on the bottle line, when you restart, you can reset all the data, but the bottles are still in place on the conveyor and there is not a way to reset those, except to reload the program from scratch. Here is another little work-around that I inserted, Counter C5:6 that counts the first 17 bottles and inhibits the capper until those "old" bottles have passed. In effect I run the conveyor until problem bottles are past the capper and thus avoid making a mess, but waste 17 empty bottles, the best of a bad situation. This is probably similar to a real bottle line. Use C5:6.ACC to reset the bit that moves a new box into position on the first scan. Also use the C5:6.ACC on the Fill Tube to inhibit first 7 bottles, and C5:6/DN on the Cap Ram rung to inhibit capping for the first 17 bottles.

Bottle_Line_Run-After_Stop2.jpg

Last edited: