bad word

seppoalanen

In european, perhups only finnish I don't understand why you can not publish the word "s***" (edited by phil)? I understand ít is only the last state of the food? It is the part of life.

If the word were ONLY used to describe the remains after digestion then it would be fine though probably it would not be used here often. (I can't remember 'feces' being used outside of its standard meaning, let's see if it stays.) But because of the derived usages to describe things crude, vulgar, undesireable (and indeed these seem to be the most frequent usage of the word) does it become a word which educated people are taught to avoid.

Every culture has its taboos.
In the main English speaking culture (Brittish, American and Commonwealth), the S word (plus a few others) is considered quite rude and should not be spoken in polite company.
Since english has a lot of words, and more polite words that can be used instead, use of the "forbidden" words is generally an indication that the user is angry and no longer interested in carrying on a polite conversation.
It is just how the language and culture has developed over the centuries.

Thanks Adam and others, that helps me understand a lot.

Anyhow, when I was in Canada, they used that word very often.
In my country, we are so hypocritical as everybody else. Usually finnis says what he think without small tolking. For that reason, please, be impatient for me (us).

CaseyK said:
What is wrong with the anacronym for "Supplemental High Intensity Training"? So many of us are on that list so much of the time!!!

I like that.

I'm going to propose that list at our next management meeting and see how long it takes for someone to work it out......

CaseyK said:
What is wrong with the anacronym for "Supplemental High Intensity Training"? So many of us are on that list so much of the time!!!

I believe the original acronym is: Ship High In Transit

As the water that inevitably got into the bottom of the ships caused the manure to begin to produce methane gas and the ships would explode!

HTH,
Don

In the main English speaking culture (Brittish, American and Commonwealth), the S word (plus a few others) is considered quite rude and should not be spoken in polite company.
You must lead a very sheltered life in the west Doug - in Sydney it is even used by the office girls!!!
Then there is SNAFU etc etc.

I think it's just a question of knowing your audience.

Most people know what may or may not offend the people they're talking to or will err on the side of caution when talking to strangers.

If you write something down, however, you never know who's going to end up reading it.