help!!

What questions do you have? A good opportunity for you to learn sequencers, timers, and counters, if you try.

Newbe???????

You have to give it a try and if you have specific questions, then ask them. No one wants to do this job for you and you should not want that either. You learn by doing.

Tough love

Jay:

Why don't you make it REALLY easy on him, and just e-mail him your bachelor's degree?

I know you want to help him, but just giving him the answer is not the best way.

Usually at this point, we heckle someone like Blue. Then comes the inevitable "You guys are mean" comment from some lurker (not a registered member), followed by our defending our policies.

Sometimes the student posts again, saying "Don't bother - I figured it out myself".

Like you said, this one is easy. So please let him work it out himself. He'll learn more for the attempt.

Confirm

Thanks Alan for the advice. But i just wanted to confirm my answer and to see if i did it right. I think there should not be any haorm to that. If you want i can email you the answer and why dont you check it and let me know.

Jay

I would suggest that he doesn't need the answer but some directions on how to get there on his own. I would suggest that he look at what is required and break it down into logical steps. Then turn these steps into a ladder program. If you go at it this way, it would look like this:

1) The push button is pressed and starts or latches the program on.
2) A timer is required to time for 3 seconds and also turn on an output during this time.
3) A timer is required to time for 5 seconds while the output is off.
4) When this sequence is finished, a counter must add the cycle and start a new one.
5) This must be counted 5 times after which the start latch is turned off.

This doesn't give the answer, but if followed will direct the student to the logical conclusion. Sometimes even the simplest places to go need some direction the first time you go there..

free checking

Thanks Alan for the advice. But i just wanted to confirm my answer and to see if i did it right. I think there should not be any haorm to that. If you want i can email you the answer and why dont you check it and let me know.
So, Jay, send your program to me and I will be glad to check it for you and tell you if it works or not. Or, Alan would probably help you as well.

Why don't you make it REALLY easy on him, and just e-mail him your bachelor's degree?

Well said Allen!!

Help is assisting not doing!

Jay, how is Blue going to get on in the real world if he is always relying on other people to do his work for him? I can't knock you for wanting to help him, thats what we visit this site for, but giving him the complete answer will be no help to Blue in the long run.

Blue, have a look at Micah's reply, attempt the logic yourself then post what you have written. I am sure then that you will get the assistance that you need.

Paul

Ladder

Don't try sending any program created in a ladder editor. The chances are that we won't have to same software, and so will be unable to look at it.

One way to send it would be via PM (Private Message), using the
sendpm.gif
icon under our posts.

You can send ASCII ladder using PM, but PMs are limited to 2000 characters, and it's fairly easy to hit that limit. Remember, if using ASCII ladder to put the text [LADDER] before your code and [/LADDER] after your code (exactly as it shows up here, with the brackets and slashes). If you don't, your spacing will get all out of whack and it will render your code unintelligible (which....er, never mind...).

Another way would be do screen captures on your code from your ladder editor. Unfortunately, you can't send an attachment via PM. You might try sending them to us via our emails, which you can access using the
profile.gif
icon. With luck, the anti-spam filtering won't delete your message (and it will be small enough to fit in the mailbox - limited space)

One last method would be to post your code in the Practice Posting Here area. Usually these student posts are for homework that's due the next day or two. I suspect that Blue has given up on us, and wouldn't make the effort to find a similar post elsewhere in the Forum. If you feel like being really tricky, post it on another forum (Ron Doran's patchn.com or Mr PLC.net and then just PM us the link).

Micah -

I really liike your post. It gives Blue a good start and even includes a subtle omission that could drive Blue crazy.