Transfer Data

Saleh

Hi:
I want to ask if there is a way to transfer data from SCADA software to the PLC(CPU). by mean, if we have a PLC & another sigle stage controller & both (PLC & CONT.) are connected to SCADA software each with its OPC and then we want to take some data from the controller to the PLC. So is this possible or not

Thanx for your Intrest.

It is possible but it's not a reliable method for transferring data between PLC's etc. Most SCADA systems (these days) run on a Windows platform and as such I know I wouldn't trust Windows to not crash..

Where I am currently working they ( I'm only a lowly sub-contractor) are using a dedicated OPC server to transfer data between different brand PLC's. My preference would be to transfer data between PLC's etc using something that dosen't depend on a third party software package.

Hi Saleh.

Depending on the exact SCADA you are using, it may very well be possible. But as long as we dont know which SCADA you are using, who can tell ?

edit: consys puts a valid point up. What kind of data is it. Some kind of settings or recipes ? Or is it in-proces data ?

I might be misinterpreting your question, but as far as sending data to the PLC from SCADA, the answer is yes! these would be input registers on the PLC. So the values could be boolean or word (16 bit). unfortnately i do not understand the rest of the question... since to me, typically a PLC would write data to a controller (example a control valve or variable speed drive or pressure regulator) these would get their output from the PLC, but as far as a controller writing data to the PLC, i am not sure what data that would be? but if it is something like feeback (ie. trips and so forth) then yes these could be wired as inputs to the PLC. I am also not sure about writing to the "PLC(CPU)", i assume you mean write data to the PLC, since a CPU just gets data from PLC registers, process it and write is back to the registers (just like a PC CPU).

Clarification on "transfer data"

in my system here. we have
Quantum Schnider PLC (CPS, CPU and NOE)which is connected to a SCADA software (P-cim) from afcon company. the controller which also connected is CD600 from SMAR company. now they are all connected to the SCADA & we can moniter its data properly. so can we trasfer a regester value from the SCADA to the PLC register

Thanx again

If P-cim (SCADA) is an OPC client and
if you have an OPC server with a driver for the Quantum Schnider PLC and
if you have an OPC server with a driver for the Smar CD600 and
all the OPC servers and clients are compatible, then
you can write a value from P-cim to the PLC

Dan

hi all:
thanx for you ur help. we do it successfully by the following procedure

1- Define the address
of the register "to be transferred" in the P-CIM database (i.e. controllervalue)

2- Define the PLC register that the data will transfer to in the P-CIM database (i.e. plcvalue)

3- In the database "Calculation" define a new operation:

a. Name: Test

b. Target: plcvalue

c. Format: T

d. "S": plcvalue

e. "T": controllervalue

4- in the animation editor using "AutoAction" add a new action:

@AtTime(154200) SET |!controllervalue |!plcvalue