Interbus details

I believe that it was handled by Pheonix Contact, now is a dead system, although still used in applications. We have several VME systems with the old interbus modules (similar to RIO). We really don't like them because we can't get any information or support on them though.........

I aggree with SNK.

Don't use Interbus for a new system.
It sounds like you havent used Interbus before. Then there is really no good reason to selecting it.

Interbus is not bad, but the support and product spectrum is relatively limited.
Phoenix (and a few others) is making Interbus modules for various PLC brands, but they cannot make modules for all PLCs. Almost all of the PLCs supported are old (or very old !).

Examples:
There are modules for AB PLC5 and SLC500, but not for ControlLogix or CompactLogix.
There are no modules for Omron, Mitsubishi, LG, AD, Telemecanique etc. etc.

If you are looking for a bus standard with wider acceptance, then look into Profibus or DeviceNet.

I hope the Hell that our company never buys equipment with things like Interbus again. They should be banned, LOL.
I agree, use a STANDARD. Devicenet, ControlNet, Ethernet or ProfiBus.
That way, we are all on the same playing ground.

I have used interbus quite a bit with Indramat drives and controllers. They recently went to Profibus. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of learning resources for you. I picked up most of it in training at Indramat.

Interbus

I have used Interbus on a machine and got some surprises in the project.

The PLC was a Siemens S7-416 and we had 2 Interbus card in the system (2 net), but the big surprise was that they still was using the same address system as S5 and with the limitation from the S5.

There is not so many suppliers of parts for the system, so check your need before you take the decision of Interbus.

Go for Profibus / Profinet is my advice.

More about Interbus : http://www.ibsclub.com/