5/05 Firmware

Greg Dake

Greetings everyone,

I ran across an older AB SLC 5/05 processor, it is a series A. The way I recall, series A doesn't support block transfers or message instructions, I don't remember. I read the tech note a couple years ago, but I cannot find it again. Does anyone have the answer in their head?

TIA,

Greg

As always, thanks Ken, I kinda thought so. I thought there were a couple other obscure instructions not supported in series A like IIM or something. Anyway, where do you get the 5/05 firmware on the AB website? I see the firmware section for the CLX and drives, but not older products. Seems to me I remember not being able to get it from the AB site for the 5/05.

Greg

I haven't upgraded a 5/05, but assume it's like the 5/04's. You have to purchase a module that plugs into the back of the processor, the module can be used multiple times. Last time I looked list price was around 200.00. If you local AB rep has one laying around, they may let you borrow it.

edit:
The catalog number is: 1747-DU501 list price $168.00
I was wrong, the 5/05's are flashable,
take a look at this manual: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in019_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
Ken Moore's edit is exactly right; the SLC-5/03 and 5/04 use an EEPROM plug to perform an upgrade, but the 5/05 controllers use ControlFlash. Because the upgrade to Series C adds features, it's a chargeable item.

Hint: It's easy to negotiate an upgrade of the SLC-5/05 with your A-B office if you're buying something else soon.