Profibus Networking

lendyck

Hi,

My knowledge of subnetting and the such is somewhat limited, so please do not spare any details when replying!!

I have a scenario where I need to network several identical machines, each having it's own Profibus network. I would like to use the existing Profibus networks to talk to the machines. Can this be done using a single Profi network via a DP router? Please note that since the machines are identical, the addressing will also be the same. Can multiple addresses exist on the same network if they are on a different subnet?

Thanks in advance!

Len

multiple (the same address) addressing cannot be tolerated on the same network. You could put a second DP on each PLC (assuming here) and have a seperate network for the inter-PLC comms.

If its Siemens there are things called DP/DP couplers, that act as boundaries between two PLC's, each side being part of one of the two networks.

If you want a common network then a lot of addresses would probably require changing.

Can you use Ethernet?

Please note that since the machines are identical, the addressing will also be the same.
In some way, each node must be uniquely identifiable.

Please describe the setup, with exact types and how they are interconnected.
And try to describe what it is that you want to achieve.

I don't have all the info yet, though I hope to later this week. Apparently, these machines are equiped with some sort of Siemens DP interface...maybe like a DP coupler, I'm not too sure.

In the end, a central PLC needs to be able to talk to all this different equipment on one network.

I appreciate your responses. Once I find out some more information, and if I'm still stuck, I'll be getting back!!

Thanks again.

A DP/DP coupler is a very cheap Profibus unit, which enables two PLC's to connect and interface to each other, very much like in old hard wired days, as if inputs on one are connected to outputs of the other and vice versa.

Simple interfacing.

DP/DP Coupler

I have used them for several projects to transfer data between systems (also used it to transfer data between a Siemens and Schneider PLC systems)

DP/DP Coupler is used to interconnect two PROFIBUS DP networks in order to enable the transfer of data between the masters of both networks.
The maximum length of transferred data consists of 244 bytes of input data and 244 bytes of output data.

Link for manual at Siemens support:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/news/en/1179382

If it for programming you want connects the systems, you can't use the DP/DP Coupler it is only for data transfer.

Last edited: