HSCE, Resetting

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello

Last week I posted about adding a hsce to an existing machine. Thanks for all who responded.
I have installed the card and it is counting perfectly. The only problem that I am having is that it resets to 0 periodically. I have it configured for a soft reset, with an input triggering the reset. After it reset a few times for no reason, I removed the input wire and it still resets. Does anyone know what could cause this.

controlled,

If you would of used the timer then you would of not had that issue :D

just kiddin... post your program and someone will look at it, we may see something

Thanks genius, I had a feeling I would get a relpy like that. The main reason I went that way was I have never used the hsce, and I saw it easy was to get some experience with it.

It is configured just as a simple counter, counter pulses from a photo eye. The count will never reach higher than 3000, so Im sure it's not overflow. I will post the program tomorrow when i get back to the site.

Derek

controlled said:
...The main reason I went that way was I have never used the hsce, and I saw it easy was to get some experience with it....

Derek,

Don't blame you a bit...I would have done the same (if given the chance) sometimes the long form lessons are the best.

Just wrote my first motion program/PLC/HMI (solo) that was a good lesson, little less hair, less sleep, but it felt good when I was done and it moved (the way it should)

I need to study Peter Nachtwey ‘jerk/feed forward’ thread, hindsight I think I should of read it before I tried to make a drive run correctly

controlled said:
It is configured just as a simple counter, counter pulses from a photo eye. The count will never reach higher than 3000, so Im sure it's not overflow.

If it's just a counter then what is the problem to set limits
to something bigger such a +/-1000000?
Also if it has only single channel input, how do you reset it anyway? If you have removed everything that could reset it
from code, then it must be either rollover or the wrong
wiring (either on used or on remaining channels).

There is nothing wrong with setting limits, its just not needed in this case. I have changed the reset config to limit switch resettable. When the count reached a preset value, the plc energizes a relay output which is wired as the limit switch input on the hsce. And the counter is still resetting periodically on it own. Are these cards sensitive to electrical noise? By that I mean could noise cause the counter to reset. As I said before, this is my first installation with this card.

Any help would be appreciated.

Derek

controlled said:
Are these cards sensitive to electrical noise?

Derek,

I dont think noise would reset your counter...it may give you bad counts, but not reset, I think its in your code? maybe..

Post you program when you get a chance

Here is the file showing the hsce code, as well as the data table for n9, which loads the data into the card on the first scan.

I have been online all morning watching the rungs associated with the hsce. The reset output only energizes when it should, but yet the count resets even when the reset limit switch is open.

All of my counters are Siemens or 5000 not 500 so this would just be a WAG...but if your hold count goes low/faulse would that reset it?

it may be better if you could post the whole program (if you can) or you may need Ken, Peter, or someone else to help

sorry:confused:

what is O:9/5 used for? it is labeled "reset counter card" and this output is controlled by few inputs and cascade of timers. also this is a relay output. if you need to resed PLC counter, why not reset it internaly? your OX8 card is relay output too, i wouldn't trust relay contact in anything high speed even if it's just reseting.

At first I was resetting internally but I started to have this problem, so I changed it to limit switch resettable(Relay Output) hoping that a physical reset would solve the problem ut it hasen't

are you sure the sensors are setup and working ok? is there a chance they get triggered by accident (flying debree, dust, contact with something etc.)? Are they limitswitches or photoeyes?

how sure you are (really really really sure) that it's not overflow if the upper limit is so close and you are using high speed counter? how do you currently monitor for that? you can add rung to record highest counter reading. also you can use FFL to save bunch of counter readings (record every time you reset).

you can also use trend to watch the counter value plus few more things like the reset output but this will not have single scan resolution.

what is the sequence (are you reseting at right moment only)? seams like you have lift and loader station.