RSlogix 500 and a Dongle

n8dc

Anyone using a dongle to run rs500 on 2 computers? Ive got one running xp pro and the program will run on it but the other is a laptop with xp home edition and although in my computers properties and hardware it shows the dongle is present and working the program just will not run?
Dave

I am confused with your term dongle, that usually means a hardware device that is connected to allow software to run. RSL500 uses activation through software.

Activation is changing but the old way with RSL500 was a Master Disk that came with the software. Unless you bought more than one license you will only be able to run it on one computer at a time.

Can you provide more details why you say it shows the "dongle" or activation installed?

Is he referring to using a usb memory stick to store the activation on?

If so, then is the .RSI file set to search avavlailable drives? At least that is the way it used to work, I am not sure about how to set up a usb stick to function this way.

David

The software we just got in the quick start guide says we ca use a dongle to run it on 2 computers. Rather than move the activation back and forth its supposed to be married to the dongle and you just plug in to whatever computer you want to run the software on. The reason for having it on 2 machines is just to make it easier for 2 of us that will be using our own computers although it would really be nice to have it running on both without a dongle or keydisk. Were both learners and ive got experience with Omron Automation Direct and Keyence but this ab stuff is way different . I havent figured out thier programming language yet. XIC is a long way from a LD command !
Dave

The problem may not be with your activation; some of the RSI stuff won't work on XP Home Edition. I'll look in the Knowledgebase.

For those who don't know yet:

Rockwell is now no longer supplying activation files on floppy disks for RSLogix500. You can either activate it over the internet, or if you frequently move between two computers you can purchase a version of RSLogix500 with a USB dongle instead.

Alaric said:
For those who don't know yet:

Rockwell is now no longer supplying activation files on floppy disks for RSLogix500. You can either activate it over the internet, or if you frequently move between two computers you can purchase a version of RSLogix500 with a USB dongle instead.

:) I suggested that activation process on here two years ago. I'm sure Rockwell didn't actually listen to me but it's nice to see it happen. It won't be long and I will be able to jump up and down on my floppy drive and throw it in the garbage.

You must buy the dongle separately as it can be used with other RS software. The dongle can contain licenses for RSLogix, RSLinx, RSView, etc...

You won't be able to use just a standard USB flash drive as there is a unique ID assigned to the dongle.

There are lots of ways to activate using the new method. The dongle is just an option, not a requirement. Should be easier in the long run.

OG

Hi,

We bought RSLogix 5000 a few months back & asked for the dongle so we could do the same as n8dc wants to with RSLogix 500. The dongle arrived in a seperate envelope from the software. I plugged it into a USB port but Windows failed to recognize it. I'm using XP pro. The second laptop has W2K pro. I gave up after a few minutes since They sent a floppy as well. Is there some kind of special hand shake one has to perform to get it to work? Maybe I should move the license to the hard drive, then attempt to move it to the stick.
BD

bikerdude said:
They sent a floppy as well.

Good, I'm glad we can opt for the floppy because I think it a far easier task to stash the floppy somewhere safe that break/damage/lose/hose the dongle on the shop floor. Although I can see the dongle being a good option for some.

ChuckM said:
Good, I'm glad we can opt for the floppy because I think it a far easier task to stash the floppy somewhere safe that break/damage/lose/hose the dongle on the shop floor. Although I can see the dongle being a good option for some.

Gas stations tie bricks, pieces of wood, or as in one Steve Martin movie, a wheel to the restroom key to keep it from being lost/stolen. Maybe you could try that approach. :ROFLMAO:

bikerdude said:
Hi,

We bought RSLogix 5000 a few months back & asked for the dongle so we could do the same as n8dc wants to with RSLogix 500. The dongle arrived in a seperate envelope from the software. I plugged it into a USB port but Windows failed to recognize it. I'm using XP pro. The second laptop has W2K pro. I gave up after a few minutes since They sent a floppy as well. Is there some kind of special hand shake one has to perform to get it to work? Maybe I should move the license to the hard drive, then attempt to move it to the stick.
BD

W2K dosent realy work with USB devices...Most of the time you have to have a disk to load a driver so W2K can use the device..That was the major improvement with with win XP..works with almost any USB device and disk required..

Dont know if i like the dongle thing..If it gets damaged is there a back up?..You could say the same for the activation disk but at least you can back those up..

Alaric said:
Gas stations tie bricks, pieces of wood, or as in one Steve Martin movie, a wheel to the restroom key to keep it from being lost/stolen. Maybe you could try that approach. :ROFLMAO:

Our guys would use whatever was tied to it to keep from losing it to break it.