good flexible scada s/w

kiegmann

I am wondering what would be the best scada s/w for several different PLC types. We have Simenes S5 and S7, a gaggle of Mitsubishi FX, a few IDEC FA-2J, a Honneywell IPC620 and a few odd ones here and there. PLus there are a few non PLC controlled presses that we may want to monitor.

TIA
Mike

GE's Intellution has a large number of I/O drivers available. I use the Allen Bradley ABR Ethernet I/P, Modicon MBE Modbus/TCP, Modicon Modbus MB1 and GE Fanuc GE9 drivers with excellent results.

To be honest, as long as you can find an OPC server (I/O Driver) to communicate with the PLCs, you can use just about any SCADA package you want. Most of the big names in SCADA software offer a variety of OPC Servers for connecting to different PLCs. And you can also purchase 3rd party OPC servers as well.

So your answer depends on your needs and how much you are willing to spend. I would start by making a list of all the equipment you want to communicate with and then get in contact with these manufactures –

Wonderware – InTouch
Allen Bradley – RSView
GE – Intellution
Citect
National Instruments - Lookout

I'm sure others will be able to add to this list.

Tark said:
To be honest, as long as you can find an OPC server (I/O Driver) to communicate with the PLCs, you can use just about any SCADA package you want. Most of the big names in SCADA software offer a variety of OPC Servers for connecting to different PLCs. And you can also purchase 3rd party OPC servers as well.

So your answer depends on your needs and how much you are willing to spend. I would start by making a list of all the equipment you want to communicate with and then get in contact with these manufactures –

Wonderware – InTouch
Allen Bradley – RSView
GE – Intellution
Citect
National Instruments - Lookout

I'm sure others will be able to add to this list.

Missed from list

GE -Cimpicity
Siemens -WinCC

KepWare makes an excellent OPC server with many available drivers, and will work with any OPC compliant SCADA software. I have also used VB to develop, and they provide good examples.

NETSCADA is always my first choice. It has unlimited tags on each license. You are only limited to number of terminals or servers per license that are forever expandable.

Thanks all for your help. I will check them out. BTW, how are any of these for production recording/reporting and job scheduling?