Step 7 V5.4 software crashes

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is it just me, or has anyone else had issues with the latest version of Step 7 crashing?

It appears more often than not, that most software crashes ( Windows pop up regarding Software error) occur when i have a variable table up and running for an extended period of time. The frustrating thing is when I go check Windows Event Viewer there is no record of any kind of application crash event. How can I report to Siememns tech support a crash when Event Viewer does not log the crash?

Also another annoying event occurs every now again that when I am in the block overview window, when I double click on a block to view, the block immediateley below the block highlighted by the blue bar opens, ie, if i have the blue bar over DB12, DB13 will open when double clicked.

According to my Siemens rep, software issue with S7 cannot occur as the Step 7 software is only at major rev 5 (meaning little bugs and rock solid), where as the Rockwell Contrologix software is at rev 15 ( meaning many bugs and many corrections)

Thanks

Ian

Hi curlyandshemp.

It doesnt help you much, but I dont have the issues you see. I have STEP7 v5.4, WinCC Flexible 2005+SP1, Protool v6.0+SP2, PLC-SIM, SCL, SIMATIC NET v6.3 I have Windows XP PRO SP2. I use CP5511 and Ethernet for my online comms.

What online connection do you have ? I have heard that there are relatively more problems with the PC adapter and the USB adapter than the other types of connection.

The comment by the Siemens rep about STEP7 and RSLogix revision numbers are disappointingly idiotic. Revision numbers from different companies cannot be compared like that. It is sales humbug. He should know better than to deride the competition in such a matter.

How long is an extended period of time for your VAT table monitoring ? I'm running Step 7 V5.4 (for 4 weeks now) and don't have any issues to report. I'll happily monitor a VAT table once you let me know the time periods involved...

...major rev 5 (meaning little bugs and rock solid), ... rev 15 ( meaning many bugs and many corrections)
:ROFLMAO:

Excellent! This Siemens rep deserves a medal for his explanation! That will explain why nobody uses AutoCAD these days. I think AutoCAD 2007 is the equivalent of V17.x

Regards

Ken

I have Step7 on an older PIII laptop running Win2K Pro. I connect to an S7-317 via ethernet. I cannot run S7 on my regular laptop that has a Centrino processor and WinXp Pro, as all the Siemens stuff interferes with Rockwell's factorytalk stuff. Its like Europe in 1943, the American and Germans are not getting along

I've been using Step7 V5.4 on an Athlon 64 for about four weeks now and haven't had any problems at all. With 2 GB of memory, I've even been enjoying working with WinCC Flex 2005! :)

Hi

I have been using Step 7 V5.4 for 4 weeks now and have had nothing but problems since upgrading from V5.3.

It seems like my laptop got extreemly slow.
Most of the time my software crashes when opening hardware config, Wat table and so on.

I spoke to Siemens hotline in Denmark and was told that several had reported bugs in V5.4 and that a new SP is on way.

Regards
Brian