OT: Fluke T5-600/T5-1000?

monkeyhead

I'm looking for a half decent general purpose volt meter/ammeter for quick in the field checks. I'm not a diehard Fluke fan, and I've got access to nicer equipment when I need it, but want to pick up something for my personal toolbox for quick checks. I really don't need anything more accurate than +/- 100 mA.

Has anybody used the either of the T5 meters? I like the idea of the open jaw ammeter, but i've never used one and the skeptic in me doesn't want to trust it for some illogical reason.

I'll probably pick up the T5-1000 even though the only time I need anything above 600V is for the DC bus on the VFDs we use.

Just curious to here some reviews before I blow $100+ on one.

Hi Monkeyhead,

I have a Fluke 87 digital multimeter with a i410 open jaw ampprobe. The ampprobe just plugges into the multimeter en converts the measured current into a mV signal. (1Amp = 1mV). For me it is the ideal combination of a good multimeter with an "easy to use" ampmeter.

I’ve used the T5-1000 for some years now, never gave me any problems. Good for general first line detection, but as you say, you need access to something better if high accuracy is required.

Note: Battery life on the T5 is excellent, don’t know way I took the 1000, never needed above 600.

I'll agree on the T5 meter. Compact, handy, durable and reliable. I just wish it did mA. Every one I bump into that has one loves it (but not as a main meter) It's great for quick jobs and for newbies since it does autosense ac/dc.

Marc

I've had one for several years. I got tired of my good meter getting damaged or crummy so I keep a T5 just thrown in my tool bag. It's been dropped and wet with whatever chemical was nearby and it still works.
When I get down to the nitty gritty I go get my good meter.