Mitsubishi Q Series Communication

Marc_U

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need to add an additional Mitsubishi Q-Series PLC, to an existing network in a pumping station.
The communication modules are A1SJ71AT21B on the existing network, and the new PLC will need the same type.

The new PLC will be a local station, needs to be able to exchange data with its neignbouring PLC (also a local station), as well as allowing the site SCADA to access all the existing, plus the new PLC.

But using GX IEC Developer, I cannot see how to set this up, or exchange data.

How can I set it up, or am I doing something wrong?

Marc

It sounds like you have an A1 existing going by the card, not sure what that card is but if a net (net10/H) card then the setup will be in the master plc, here you configure the "B" bits & "W" words for each node, the all configured bits/words are global from the master to other nodes & all nodes are to master if I remember rightly, however not sure if A1 & Q will communicate on net.

The card then needs to have the address set.

in a GX developer (non-IEC) create new porject, in the project tree click on parameters,
open Network parameters and little wizard window with 4 buttons will pop-up.
Top one should be MELSECNET, manual should be IB_NA_66350-C.PDF etc.

But can you confirm hardware you use. For example you say that
you have Q processor and this card is for AnAS/QnAS. Is this in a remote rack? What is exact part number of CPU?

Last edited:
Unfortunately I didn't note the exact CPU model used in the existing PLCs, only the Communication module details, which is in the main rack.

However the customer's spec requires that the CPUs must be Q series, not A series.

Can the PLCs (local station) commicate directly on the this network?

While I have done alot of PLC programs, my experience with networks is very limited, mainly to Allen-Bradley SLC range, so any & all help/suggestions are welcome.

Marc

Simple answer is that you can't put a Q series on the existing network.
If the cut and paste works, these are the network modules available for the Ans Series and the Q Series:

AnS series Plc​

A1SJ71AT21B​

MELSECNET/B network interface module, master/local, twisted pair​

A1SJ72T25B​

MELSECNET/B remote I/O slave module​

A1SJ71AR21​

MELSECNET/II network interface module, master/local, coaxial​

A1SJ71AP21-S3​

MELSECNET/II network interface module, master/local, GI 50/125 type fibre optic cable​

A1SJ71AP21​

MELSECNET/II network interface module, master/local​

A1SJ71LP21GE​

MELSECNET/10 master/local, GI 62.5/125 fibre optic cable​

A1SJ71LP21​

MELSECNET/10 master/local, SI fibre optic cable​

A1SJ71BR11​

MELSECNET/10 master/local, coaxial cable​

A1SJ61BT11​

AnS CPU CC-Link master/local module​

Q Series Plc​

QJ71LP21G​

MELSECNET/H Master/local, GI 50/125 Fibre optic cable​

QJ71LP21GE​

MELSECNET/H Master/local, GI 62.5/125 Fibre optic cable​

QJ71LP21-25​

MELSECNET/H Master/Local, SI Fibre optic cable​

QJ72LP25-25​

MELSECNET/H Remote I/O controller, SI Fibre optic cable​

QJ71BR11​

MELSECNET/H Master/Local, coaxial cable​

QJ72BR15​

MELSECNET/H Remote I/O controller, coaxial cable​

QJ72LP25G​

MELSECNET/H Remote I/O Station GI 50/125 Fibre optic cable​

QJ72LP25GE​

MELSECNET/H Remote I/O Station GI 62.5/125 Fibre optic cable​

QJ61BT11N​

CC-Link Master/Local module​

Your network uses the first Ans module and is Melsecnet/B, the original Mitsubishi network for the Ans. This was then superceeded by Melsecnet/II and finally Melsecnet/10.

When the Q Series was introduced, so was Melsecnet/H.

Q Series can be Neworked to Ans Series using a Melsecnet/H module in the Q, operating in Melsecnet/10 mode, and a Melsecnet/10 module in the Ans.
eg
QJ71LP21GE in the Q and A1SJ71LP21GE in the AnS for a fibre optic link.
QJ71BR11 in the Q and A1SJ71BR11 in the Ans for a Co-Ax link.

There are a whole load of other things to consider when doing this such as number of available network bits/words in the Master Plc, you really need to have a chat with your local Mitsubishi rep.
I was involved in a project linking around 40
Q/Ans/FX Plcs last year, to say it had it's moments would be an understatement!

Buster

If you only have a few plc's & as suggested above a & q can communicate ok, the setup is easy, split the b/w bits/words so that you have enough for comms all round or in gx there is a facility to automatically give each plc an equal amount say 4 plc's total 4k for all comms & it will allocate them to each plc for you.

Thanks, you have saved me alot of time & headache, finding this out the hard way.
At least it is early enough in the job to rectify this. The only thing is that the panel manufacturer, who will suppling the hardware, and has worked on this site before, tried to warn our customer (the End User), there there was a complication with the communication network on site, but was slapped down by the customer.

Now it looks like its 'Egg on Face' time for our customer.