OS help

TimeFluxCap

Hi guys got a operating system prob here if anyone can help.
Im going to be away from my home pc for a little while and I have an old Dell laptop that Im running mandrake flavoured linux on at the mo. I only have a cd drive on it and I wan to install win95 on it, either dual boot or a fresh install if need be. I have db with win being the first os but I cant get it to install with linux now.

I know its a non plc prob but its so I can run RSLogix while Im away so its sort of related.

TFC

Hey Cap,

I have to go shortly, but will try and answer as best I can....

First, always try to install windows before linux. Most flavors of Linux have either LILO or GRUB for setting up a dual boot, it's built in. With windows, it's a bit trickier... If you were to wipe the drive clean, partition as needed, you could install that way...

If you need linux to stay on there, try a program called Partition Magic, it will alter partitions as needed without you having to format and lose data. When you do, and then install windows on the pc, find a program called 'boot commander'. Nice little program that will prompt you for the os you wish to use at that time.

If you need more help with this setup, I'll answer best I can, have done this several times. Gotta jet.

Hoot

Folowing the earlier answer..
With partition magic and some boot manager program.
If you want to run multiple os(if enough Ram) in one os
try to install Win XP os.in difference drive(if your's linux drive C..then install Xp in drive D or any clean drive that you have done by partition magic).then install VIrtual PC on it..
After that install win98,winme ,win2000 or another XP..you can try
More information and software :
www.connectix.com

Enjoy
A.Char

I got my prob sorted. I used the linux shell to delete its bootloader, then with a win2000 server disk, it autoloaded. Tried to do this with win95 ans 98 with no luck. Having no floppy drive made it hard but I have win again so prob solved.