Controllogix I/O Firmware

plcengineer

I have been putting in quite a few Controllogix PLC's with I/O. Now, I have a fundamental question about Firmware in the I/O Cards. For example, the last one that I did, I flashed the processor with 15.03. Now, I have an ethernet card and controlnet card in the chassis. When I added the card in the I/O config, it asked me to specify a firmware revision. do I need to flash each card with firmware or does it come pre-loaded from AB. I have only been flashing the processor.. I know that the controlnet card came with Version 10.. Just wandering if I need to do every card or just the processor.. Then, do I flash output and input cards also???

Thanks,

I always flash communication cards and processors to the current rev at the time of install. I do not flash I/O modules, I install them as delivered.

This method works well.

RSL

No, you don't flash I/O unless specifically instructed by techsupport to fix a problem.

Firmware rules:
Controller - always the latest within the major rev you selected.
Motion - matches controller within the same major rev.
Communication cards - use the latest major/minor rev available, no matter what rev is in your processor.
I/O - do not touch

Exception: CLX redundancy, were all FW revs must be taken from redundancy bundle.

Last edited:
do I need to flash each card with firmware or does it come pre-loaded from AB

The processor is the only card that you have to flash. The other cards ship with the latest firmware. It is generally a good idea to flash comm cards to the latest and greatest but it is not typically required. There are some exceptions to that of course. I/O cards do not require flashing as mentioned earlier unless tech support or some new function requires you to do so.

Make certain in RSLogix5000 that when you specify your cards that you specifya minimum revision. For example if you specify a rev 3.1 ethernet card and it is actually a rev 2 then the only way the card will work is if you disable electronic keying. If your card is actually a rev 4.0 then the default setting of compatible module will work just fine.

OG

I flashed the processor with 15.03.

Can I ask you why 15.03?

As you see 15.03 is not the latest
fw.jpg

This is very important with L55, because FW 15.05 provides fix severe program loss issue.

I know that the controlnet card came with Version 10
Make sure it is 10.7 and not earlier 10.x

Last edited: