pricing

It is impossible to answer that question the way I expect you want it answered. That is, I expect you want a brand name and model like the XYZ1234 from General Siemrock Direct.

How many of these PLCs are you going to buy per year? How many and what type of inputs and outputs do you need? What level of support are you goiing to need to be able to maintain the machines these PLCs will be controlling? Are you going to write the programs or are you going to contract that out?

The only answer I can give you is "the one that costs the least amount of money to own". The specific answer that's right for you will be different than the correct answer for someone else.

I never buy the cheapest anything.

I always buy the least expensive item that I am confident WILL ALWAYS FULFILL THE REQUIRED FUNCTIONS of my application.

Cheap stuff always costs more.

Between cheap, good, and fast, you can have any two, but never all three.

You can have it cheap and fast, but it will not be any good.
You can have it cheap and good, but it will not be fast.
You can have good and fast, but it will not be cheap.

Don't forget the negotiated discounts for volume buys.
Also, don't forget about IO and any other add on you need (Ethernet, Profibus, Devicenet, High Speed counting etc.)

Cheapest is the one I get from the customer when I upgrade his system and he doesn't care what happens to the old one. I've got a few of those around, even a couple of PV+. ;)

Hello all, I'm new here, maybe to be more specific in my context, I need a PLC with at least 30 to 50 I/Os, don't need high speed,and fancy stuff as I'm just actuating solenoids on home and away 2 positions. Considering Nais, any opinions?

chowwk said:
Hello all, I'm new here, maybe to be more specific in my context, I need a PLC with at least 30 to 50 I/Os, don't need high speed,and fancy stuff as I'm just actuating solenoids on home and away 2 positions. Considering Nais, any opinions?

NAiS now known as PANASONIC...not bad...and it less expensive + suitable for I/O control; less data logging system.

You can try NAiS FP0 series...

A better way to look at it is like this.

What is the most expensive PLC? The one that fails on you!

Cheap is only related to the initial purchase price.
COST is related to that, plus training to program it, time waiting on the phone for tech support, how long you have to wait for replacement parts, what it will cost to replace in 3 years when the manufacturer has moved on to a NEW IMPROVED version that is incompatible with the one you own and has no repalcements available etc. etc. etc.

Depending on the particular situation, it might very well be the case that the "cheapest PLC" is nothing more than a handful of IDEC Relays (less than $50.00), and maybe a timer or two, and of course, a reasonable control scheme.

Classic answer... it depends.

Thanks guys,be surfing abit...their FP X looks good, direct USB input...no expensive cables, simple graphic interface.