P190 to Modicon 984-780 PLC

Hi all,

I could use some help connecting the P190 to the 984-780 PLC. First, what is the correct cable part number? The cable I have, W907-015, is a 25 pin on both ends and the 780 is a 9-pin female programming port.

Second, here are the tapes I have. All are new: 984 Configurator
AS-T984-304 VER 2.1. 984 Programmer AS-T984-301 VER 2.1. 984 Utility Package PG-T984-305 VER 3.0.

I'm looking into ordering the traffic cop tapes. For right now, all I want to do is connect to the PLC, download and go online.

I recently replaced the tape drive in the P190. The old one was really noisy. However, when I place a tape in the new drive, I get 'Tape Status Error' message on the screen. I tried all the tapes and get the same message. Do I get this error because I'm not connected to the 980-780?

I'm not that familiar with the P190. If I can get some help connecting and establishing communication, it would really be appreciated. For instance, what tape do I use first and what sequence of tapes after that? I have one blank tape.

thanks all,

CTG

Threw out our P190 (boat anchor) in 1989. Sorry.

You may have trouble ordering software tapes.

The next generation was MODSOFT. Now obsolete. You can probably pick up for next to nothing on E-bay. It is DOS and doesn't work properly on any OS after Win98. You'll have to purchase the com cable or make your own.

What it the modbus com connector on the 984-780, DB9 female?

Brian.

(edit) should read post better, DB9 female it is.

Last edited:
Back again,

I just unearthed my P190 training manual.

Tape Loader Instructions.

1)Connect the communication cable From Port 1 on the P190 to Port 1 on the PLC. (yOU DON'T HAVE A CABLE I KNOW)

2)Insert the 984 Tape Loader tape and turn on the P190. If the P190 has been previuosly loaded with another tape, press the "INIT" and "INIT LOCK" keys together. (DON'T YOU LOVE THOSE DOUBLE KEY COMBOS)

3) Enter "1" into the AR and press the "ATTACH" key.

4) Press "984 OPERATIONS"

5)"CONTROLLER OPERATIONS" will allow you to stop and start the PLC.

and the list goes on and on.......

Tell you what, I'll ship you the whole works, it's photocopied in a 1" three ring binder. Send me a PM with your address if you are interested. Or I can fax it to you.

Personally I would get a laptop, get MODSOFT or the demo of Proworx32 (limited to 25 networks) and a 'AS-W956-012' cable and get into the nineties.

Good Luck,

Brian.

Hi guys,

We have Proworx, etc. My job here is to (believe it or not) validate the P190. So...I need the cable P/N, the tape loader tape P/N and anything else I can get my hands on to get this out of my hair.
icon10.gif

I'll check my 'manual' for those PNs tommorrow when I get back at work.
I'd be amazed if you could still order them from Schneider. Someone here probably has some collecting dust though.
Does the P190 have a 25 pin com connector?
Brian.

edit: You have Proworx and are still monkeying with a P190???
You don't work in the cement industry do you? I feel your pain bro!

Last edited:
P190

Hello,

From what I could share... Once upon a time there was a P180 that supported 484... then P190 came out to support 584 Modicon... Then A.E.G. bought Modicon... more families were made hence 984... some were along the line Shnider bought A.E.G. ... Please get rid of P190... need to go with modbus plus with computer terminal station to run your factory...

OK Control Test Guy,

You owe me one.

I would like you to take a picture of that old "portable" programmer and post it here.
I searched google images and no luck.
If anyone else can beat CTG to it they get 1,000 points, heck make that 1,250, I'm feeling generous.

The younguns need to see what we used in the pleistocene age.

thanks,
Brian.

CONTROLTESTGUY said:
Hi guys,

We have Proworx, etc. My job here is to (believe it or not) validate the P190. So...I need the cable P/N, the tape loader tape P/N and anything else I can get my hands on to get this out of my hair.
icon10.gif

I don't want to tell you how to run your business, but if you have Proworx, why don't you just toss the old panel.
Is there any thing that the panel does that Proworx can't?

Doug

Actually, it's my job to test and validate the old stuff. This company I work for now buys and sells surplus control equipment.

Thanks for the help, guys.

CTG

P-190 Pictures

I'll post the pictures as soon as I can get the file down to 300KB. Right now I'm at 720KB and the site would not let me post them.

thanks, CTG

Now that's what I'm talkin about! She looks mint.(y)

Send me your credit card number and I'll credit you your 1250 points.;)

Back in the day when you had trouble in the field you would sling 30 pounds of tools over your shoulder and grab the P190 and go!

That's when men were men by gum!

Thanks CTG, you came through,

By the way, how much are they going to be asking for it?

Brian.

Last edited: