Parts info

Try Googling?

John,
"Computer Dynamics" is a company that makes?/sells flat panel pc's and displays.
"Planar" refers to a plane (two dimensional). Perhaps a flat panel monitor from Computer Dynamics?

Mike

yes, this is what it is, however the OEM wants a nice used corvette for it. it looks like my antique compaq portable 386 computer (portable cuz it has a handle on it lol )). it is used on a large textile dryer. the plc is a modicon AEG

I have a few Planar Screens on-line. A couple are used simply for display purposes. Another, I integrated as an Operator Interface Screen using normal PLC Input Signals to control the pages and functions on the particular pages.

Since I keep the PC (the one driving the PLANAR) in my office, about 100-Feet away from the Planar, I use a "Video Extender" to ensure a quality image on the screen.

Their company is just a few miles from me. As far as I know, they're still making the screens on-site, here in the US. (I wouldn't be surprised to learn otherwise.)

So far... I'm satisfied and have no complaints.

Is this display orange mono? Some older displays were Plasma. I remember the Compaq Portable display was orange. Current LCDs are backlit with a (Cold Cathode) Fluorescent Lamp.
Plasma doesn't need a backlight. Each cell generates it's own. High current, high voltage = high dollar. Back then, orange was the only color. Can you say "neon"? Think of each pixel as a micro neon lamp.
This type of display is popular for aircraft. I guess they think in aircraft/military price terms.
The interface should still be standard. I'm sure you could replace it with a compatable LCD.

Is this display orange mono? Some older displays were Plasma.

I think you may be referring to electroluminescant screens. Omron still make them in touch screens for PLCs - orange text on a black background. Not many do nowadays. You really have to work hard in the PLC program to make them work. However, they make absolutely great text displays and can be read from a fair distance at rather acute angles. Cannot say the same for the modern day colour touch screens.

Computer Dynamics

I have installed several Computer Dynamics industrial touch screen computers. I found that their quality was well above average. We used the DisplayPac-OP 15” and 17” and found them to be better than the brand that we were replacing which were new models from a competitor. They offer many communication ports 4-serial, 4-USB 2-Ethernet and the screens response and picture quality was adequate. The overall size of the case inside of the panel was smaller than the other brands with a cleaner more professional looking design.

I believe that this company is the one that was bought by GE a few years ago. Develop your own opinions on that matter.