SLC 5/03 - Software

PLCKeef

Hi all
I have been given an Allen Bradley PLC , it is a SLC 5/03, I have a classroom full of siemens stuff so it would be nice for some variety.
But I do not have any software , are there any free versions for download for this PLC ?

PLCKeef said:
Hi all
I have been given an Allen Bradley PLC , it is a SLC 5/03...

But I do not have any software , are there any free versions for download for this PLC ?

IMHO ....A short (honest) answer would be no.

You will need RSLogix 500. This is not cheap
You will need RSLinx... You can get a free version of this to get you started.

Then you will need a RS232 cable if you want to program it thru' the serial port.

There is the option of using the DH-485 port, but this will cost further $$

Post back if you need further info or if I have left something out.

Thanks guys.
I have just got RSlogix 500.
I haven't installed yet , but will do this week if I get a chance.

I have also found a couple of SLC 150 plcs , will RSlogix 500 talk to a 150 ?

thanks

No. The software for the 150 is OLD DOS-based PCIS software. And the comm to it will require a real serial port -- if you can still find the comm adapter.

WHERE have you been? ...

Greetings PLCKeef ...

man, things must really move slow “down under” ... that's almost TWO YEARS between follow-up posts ...

slow.JPG

just joking of course ...

on the SLC-150, my advice is to put it on the far back burner ... that model is definitely out of date ...

UNLESS ...

if you have a local industry still making use of this old beast, then it MIGHT come in handy once in awhile ... if not, don’t spend the time - either yours or your students’ - required to get this system to work ...

that having been said - yes, ALL knowledge is good ... it’s just that you probably have much more productive ways to spend your time and resources ...

let us know if you have questions ... we’ll be glad to help ... and if so, it would be a good idea to give us a complete inventory of the SLC-5/03 hardware (types of modules, etc.) that you have on hand ...

good luck with your project ...

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
Will leave the 150 alone then :)

I have installed rslogix 500 , do I need to install RSlinx to communicate ?
I have a PIC , not sure what number , will have a look later today.

PLCKeef said:
Thanks guys.
Will leave the 150 alone then :)

I have installed rslogix 500 , do I need to install RSlinx to communicate ?
I have a PIC , not sure what number , will have a look later today.

Yes, you will need RSLinx to commuicate. You will also need a real serial port to use that PIC.
Good news is the SLC5/03 has a serial port, you do not need a PIC to connect to it.

Last edited:
Ok thanks
I have a 1747-PIC.
I have downloaded RSlinx lite , will that do the job for me ? I won't get a chance to try it until Monday now.

PLCKeef said:
Ok thanks
I have a 1747-PIC.
I have downloaded RSlinx lite , will that do the job for me ? I won't get a chance to try it until Monday now.

Yes,reread post #13. Tell us more about what you are connecting to.(processor,cables,ports,all about computer/laptop, is this a working system/play thing for leaning? The more info the better the help.

Last edited: