RSView newbie

tbode

Hi everyone,
How much grief can I expect if I am given an RSView project to work on? I am intimately familiar with Intouch and Cimplicity PE, but have never touched RSView. Part of the project is to install and configure RSView as if I were the end user, then verify the functionality of an EXISTING project to the RSLogix 5000 logic.

Job Description: The task I am hiring someone to do involves software validation for two ease of use add on programs that work together. To exercise the software will also require some industrial controls experience in either drive systems or motion control. Actual tasks include: Create a test plan to validate the software Given an RSLogix 5000 ladder program, an RSView ME application, and hardware required. Set up the hardware. Follow the easy start instructions that come with the software programs and configure the system. With the system running from execute the test cases from the test plan and validate all HMI data is correctly linked to the controller data. Test all buttons and actions, test all alarm functions, time stamps and messages.

Should be an easy assignment, yes?

Any more feedback?

I am fluent in Intouch thru 7.11 and Cimplicity PE thru 6.1. Is RSView ME easy to pick up, given an existing program?

If you are familiar with creating screens and tags, it should be somewhat easy. I just finished my first ME program and I found it fairly easy. I am familiar with using RSView though. The hardest part is getting the communications going. Search the forums here for help on that.

i started a RSVIEW ME project last year..it was first AB project in a LONG time..It was very first HMI project..Mark was right about the communications..they were a little tricky to set up but after that it was a dream..(The set up i used was a Panel view+1000 with Control logix over ethernet)..After i went back to modicon and panelmate i felt i was back in the stone ages!!

Darrenj made a good point. After you do get use to the PanelView Plus, you will be spoiled. I have finished my first project using a PV+ 1500. I was very impressed with A-B, they did a hell of a job on this platform. It may be a bit more expensive but it is well worth it. For example, the customer was talking about buying some type of pen plotter to mount in addition to the PV+. I looked at A-B's trending and found it can store up to 300000 points. I am now plotting 4 points every 1 second, that equates to around 2 months worth of data. Exporting the data from the PV+ was also fairly easy for viewing in a Excel spreadsheet.

There are also many other improvements in the alarms and messages.
P.S. Make sure you add a shutdown button.

I don't think you will have a problem if you have used InTouch and Cimplicity. If you are already comfortable with visualization programming, then the Help files for RSView Studio should navigate you past any confusion. PV+ and RSView ME are probably the best combination of ease or use and functionality.

$

Hello;

I read this thread because I am like tbode doing my first project using REView but (RSView32), what is not clear for me is what Mark Buskell said about shutdown button. Could you please give more details about this?

Thank you.

To get back into the config menu (To change times/load different programs/setup functions ect..) You need a shut down down button..If you forget (as i did) its not that big of a deal..you can create one on your programming computer and download to the unit