help with RSView

Shilo

I need to move an RSView project from one computer to another to do some edits for a new project. I have never done this before and in fact have only limited experience with making small edits to RSView.
I moved the .rsv file to my new computer and some of the project folders. When I try to open the project I get a message block saying "Tag database not found!".
Can anybody tell me what I'm missing?
Thanks.

Hi:

If you version is Rsview SE, go to www.ab.con and then go to knowledgebase and there download "hmibackup" application.

If you version is ME, the you have to saae all the path like this:
"c:\documments and settings\all users\shared documets\rsview enterprise\se or \me" and copy all the files and directories to exactly the same place in the other computer and you can work with it

william

Actually if you are using RSView ME just copying the files won't work.

Select Start->Program->Rockwell Software->REView Enterprise->Tools->Application Manager

Then Select ME or SE Standalone or SE Distributed.

Select Backup Application->Next
Select the Application to be backed up->Next
Type the name for the backup and select the destination for the file->Finish

The file created will be the name you specified with a .APA extension. This file contains the entire project. Copy that file to the destination computer and run the Application Manager again. This time instead of Backup Applications, Select Restore Application.

That is all that is needed.

If you are using RSView32 then go to Start/Programs/Rockwell Software/RSView32 Tools and run the transport utility. This does the same thing but is only for RSView32.

OG

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out. BTW, I'm running RSView32. I'll try to give more complete info next time.

RANT ALERT:

One of the things I hate about software is the arrogant assumption by vendors that I will only be running their packages and only be interested in using their file directory structure and that I will be using the same PC for creating and downloading and monitoring. This **** A-B inlflicts on us with RS View is a great example, as is the Step 7 requirement to create their own special zip files, and DirectSoft's always reverting to their own project directory, and .........

The manufacturers need to get their software guys out of their cubicles and out on a jobsite once in a while!

RANT OFF

A big second to that rant, Tom.

Shilo, the way I move an RSView32 project from one computer to another is to copy the entire RSView "project directory" (all data files except the LOG files) to a USB drive (memory stick drive), then plug that drive into the second computer and copy the subdirectory onto the second computer hard drive. If it is an older computer with only a floppy dirve, I ZIP the project directory files onto 4 or 5 floppy disks and transport them that way.

You can use the Transport function also, but see Tom's rant above. Who needs the extra headaches?

Lancie (and Tom, sort of),

RSView32 does not require files to be stored in a particular location. Transport will work no matter where the files are stored. Plus, they can be restored anywhere. I find Transport to be extremely easy to use.

RSView SE/ME on the other hand does have to be in a specific location. Don't like it? There is a Tech Note that describes how to change it. However, it just isn't worth the hassles.

RSView ME Station requires that the files be accessible regardless of who may be logged in to the computer. The only way to guarantee that is through the All Users directory. I don't care for it either, but I understand why it has to be there. Using the Application Manager, you can copy/delete/backup/restore/rename.

OG

Yes, well, Windows Explorer Copy works anywhere for all files, and I can graphically see where it is copying from and where it is copying to. I hate blind copying. To each his own poision.

From my few workings with RSView ME the copying of files is not the only thing that the backup/restore does. It creates a number of Registry (don't you love Microsoft's great invention?) entries that just copying the files doesn't. Even with the directory structure recreated exactly on a target computer I find RSView ME totally ignoring them if the Registry entries don't say that they are there. Likewise, just deleting the structure won't convince RSView that it is gone. The Backup->.APA->restore process works fine and makes only one file to worry about transporting.

It's funny, tonight I ran into a problem with my VMWare software and in solving the problem I had to edit a hidden file in the All Users folder. Just ironic in the timing.

OG

Shilo vbmenu_register("postmenu_178101", true); u first need to retract the product key from PC in wich RSview32 currently runs. Then try to setup it on another PC.

bernie_carlton said:
From my few workings with RSView ME the copying of files is not the only thing that the backup/restore does. It creates a number of Registry (don't you love Microsoft's great invention?) entries that just copying the files doesn't.
I don't think it's registry settings, but there are some sort of configuration settings that don't get preserved in a straight file-copy with RSViewME/SE projects. The first ME project I did, I naively just copied the project files from my hard drive to our network server after the job was done, thinking that was a sufficient backup, since that's how it worked for RSView32.

Bzzt! I did manage to restore it to my machine afterward, but it was a royal pain. I think I had to create a new project, then import everything from the backed-up folder into it somehow, I forget exactly. Not an experience I'd care to repeat, and I'll add a "hear! hear!" for the rant above.