cognex

plcnewbie

Anyone here use cognex cameras? If so I have a question and if not maybe you can still help.

I would normally hook up to it with a usb cable and open the software. What I was wondering is if I can get a usb to ethernet cable and plug it into my network and connect through it by some means from elsewhere? I know they make cameras with this capibility but I do not have one of those.

Thanks alot.

I mean a lot

A local PC with the programming software on board is permenently plugged into the camera or cameras via USB.
This is also plugged into the Ethernet network.
You setup some terminal software, such as VNC.
Any time you want to look at it remotely, you just log on, run the software from the local PC and control it from your remote PC.

yes vnc. I use it a lot. But,I do not want to leave a pc plugged into the cameras as I may have several at different locations. Are there any other options?

I have used the Cognex Checker model with the USB cable.

I have just let it run and plugged into the USB when I need to check or change something - If your USB/ethernet converter idea works, that would be very handy.

I don't know if this may be an option for you or not. I have all of our Insight sensors here networked on EtherNet. They and there respective PLC's are connected to a stand alone managed switch. There is just one PC connected to that switch that has three NIC cards in it: one for the Vision Network, one for the Plant Control Network, and one for the regular Business Network. That way I only need one PC and can get to anything I want from the office. But the networks are still seperated (for very good reasons). Obviously this won't work for you if you are going from plant to plant; but within the plant it works great.

Patrick

LadderLogic said:
I have to admit I have been using Cognex a lot and cannot remember a camera with a USB port on it. Is that an old model?

Most of the cognex are USB unless you get the insight which is more pricey but, you are able to connect over ethernet to it.

I am trying to figure a way to do it with the less pricey cameras. I know I am going to at least do some software work.

I would think a little hub like device which you are able to plug into the network would be great and just when you open the software you choose the camera from a list of those on the network.

There has to be a way to do this either existing or not. I am sure someone smarter than me will come up with an idea...