Programming Siemens ET 200S cpu w/MPI

oregonsam

I have a small ET 200S system with a IM151-7 CPU that I'm playing with. I need to connect to it with a laptop using Step7 5.2, and a RS 232/MPI adapter (6ES7 972-0CA23-0XA0).
So farI'm having no luck, and am beginning to suspect that I may need a Profibus card for the laptop.

If anyone has any suggestions, or a good place to find the setup procedure it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the info.
But I still can't communicate with the CPU. I think it has another configuration in the MMC (memory card), that might be giving me issues. I reset the card, and for a while was seeing an available MPI PASSIVE node at slot 3, but couldn't communicate with it.

I've lost this since turning it back on.

I don't have it here right now, but I'll check tonight. I THINK...it comes on with the STOP light blinking slowly, and I can't communicate. I'll let you know for sure this evening.

oregonsam said:
I reset the card

How did you do this?

There are two ways (as far as I know) to 'reset' a MMC card, the first one is while it is plugged in the CPU then using Simatic Manager, in online mode, I would rule this one out as you stated that you can't get online with the CPU. The second one is using a prommer, do you have one of these?

The only time I have used a IM151-7 is as a profibus 'slave' to a 315, I downloaded the initial configuration using Profibus, not MPI. I haven't looked at the link Simon gave, but I do have a 151 to play with at work if necessary. If you have no luck, I will have a play tomorrow.

Paul

oregonsam, i also have two adapters you mentioned, and i can tell one thing for sure, there is no way to communicate with CPU via profibus if speed is high (my favourite 1.5 Mbit for OP's) using step7 5.2 ... dunno really why, maybe mpi automatically sets to speed about 157kbaud which is maximum for this pc-adapter, unlike profibus connection or smg.

well... 5611 is better, but not always available... so i would also apreciate if anybody know real possibilities of pc-adapter & profibus, sometimes... network get little wild :)

oregonsam said:
I reset it with the MRES switch on the front of the CPU.

I see RGB replied while I was typing, so I deleted most of my reply, anyway, the CPU is still probably set for comms via Profibus.

It seems that you will either have to get a profibus CP card for your laptop, or replace the current MMC with a blank one, unless you know someone with a prommer.

Paul

I was thinking there was a way to reset the CPU comm paramaters to the default (MPI in slot 2) with the MRES switch. I just can't figure out how to do this.

oregonsam said:
I was thinking there was a way to reset the CPU comm paramaters to the default (MPI in slot 2) with the MRES switch.

I do believe that is not possible with a MMC, as the system configuration is stored on the MMC card and the only way to clear this is as I have described above.

Paul

Just trying to figure out what has gone wrong.

If the IM151-7 has been placed in Profibus Slave mode, then maybe it is necessary that a Profibus Master is present in order to connect to it.
And then maybe the serial PC adapter is not enough. You probably need a real Profibus Master that has the IM151-7 assigned to it as a slave.

I also think that to get back to normal, the best is to get a "fresh" new MMC card.

Have anyone tried to use the MMC backup/restore tool that jcarlos has made ?
Here is the thread that links to the tools:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=5347
It could be an idea to take a snapshot of each MMC type card before you use it, and if you need to "reset" it, you just restore the empty image to the card.

JesperMP said:
If the IM151-7 has been placed in Profibus Slave mode, then maybe it is necessary that a Profibus Master is present in order to connect to it.
And then maybe the serial PC adapter is not enough. You probably need a real Profibus Master that has the IM151-7 assigned to it as a slave.

As I have a 315 2DP set up with a IM151-7 as a profibus slave in my office for playing with, (if you remember Jesper, I did have a 315 and 412 set up, but I have 'lost' the 412, it had to do some real work) I checked out what Jesper has written. I unplugged the profibus cable from the IM151-7 and as expected the CPU went into stop mode with the usual red LED's lit, I connected my PG directly to the CPU and looked for accessible nodes with my CP5611 in both Profibus and MPI modes, in both cases I could not 'see' the IM151-7.

So it seems that Jespers second statement (above) is true.

Paul

I'm communicating again!

I finally got the MPI to show up again by cycling the MRES button.
It shows: Accessible Nodes\MPI = 3(passive) when I look for accessible nodes . I can also see program blocks and read other information.
My question is: HOW DO I CHANGE IT TO ALLOW ME ACCESS! And what does (passive) mean?
I'm afraid if I shut it off, it will just go back to it's MMC settings.

The Mocule information for Communication says:
Transmission rate....Interface X1: 187.5 Kbps
Connection number: 12 Not assigned: 11
Reserved Assigned
PG Communication: reserved 1 assigned 1
OP Communication: reserved 1 assigned 0
Standard Comm: reserved 0 assigned 0
Other Comm: reserved -- assigned 0
I do seem to have access to a CLEAR/RESET through the PLC option
after double clicking the MPI Node. But I'm kinda of afraid to select it for fear of loosing the comm.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks