What do you guys do with your junk?

Tackdriver

I am in a quandry.
We are replacing our DC motors and drives (all over 125 horsepower), with AC motors and drives.

Both the DC drives (CT Quantum IIIs) and the motors (Baldor DC stuff), are things I would never use again.

But at the same time, there is a part of me that thinks they may be worth something to somebody.

Ive checked on Ebay and old drives and PLCs just sit around, sometimes let go for less than the cost of shipping them.

Do any of you guys have methods of getting rid of stuff you dont need for even a little profit?

My boss has a hard time letting go of things like this. We pack, inventory and store things of this nature for years until we feel like the storge space needs used for something else. Then we move it outside for a while until the owner of the company comes to visit, decides it looks like **** out there and tells us to call the scrap guys to come gaet rid of it.

Check with your local EASA motor shop. They will have access to a nationwide network of used motor brokers and can help you dispose of the motors and maybe return a little cash too. Dump the drives. There is no salvage value there.

DickDV said:
Dump the drives. There is no salvage value there.

You could get 5 to 10 bucks for the scrap steel, aluminum and copper in them drives. But not much else. My boss takes out transistor's, SCR's and Diodes that could be easily stored and the rest gets trashed. They come in handy when you have to band-aid a customers drive. If you are the end user and have none of these drives in service, find a local drive service shop, they might buy the good parts but I doubt it these days.

There may be a narrow market for your motors & drives somewhere in the minning industry, for spares/replacements for drag lines or for lifts & cranes.

ChuckM said:
My boss has a hard time letting go of things like this. We pack, inventory and store things of this nature for years until we feel like the storge space needs used for something else. Then we move it outside for a while until the owner of the company comes to visit, decides it looks like **** out there and tells us to call the scrap guys to come gaet rid of it.

Do you and I work for the same company? Seriously, we have a guy named Chuck too, and that sounds exactly like what we do. First it is stored in the plant, then its moved off site to the storage sheds, the back on site to the back of the parking lot, first under a tarp until the tarp is needed for something else, then it spends an unprotected year or two in the rain and snow, then finally it gets disposed of. The entire process takes 6 to 10 years, depending on the equipment.