Photoelectric sensors

DL06

Hello all,

I am looking for some low-cost photoelectric sensors capable of a sensing range of 20ft. The application is indoors, so they do not have to be stainless or environment-rated in any way. Opposed-mode or retroflective would be fine. I will be interfacing with a DL06 PLC.

Again, cost is a primary consideration. Also, Canadian suppliers would be preferable to avoid duty/brokerage fees associated with cross-border shipping.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Evening All,
Why a p.e.c?. We've started swapping distance measuring pec's and long range detectors for the IFM laser (optical distance measurement according to the web site). I have used these successfully for various applications where pec's where prone to getting dirty (sulphur fumes in particular) and i'm sure you can set the device up to act like an on/off device like a pec.

Check out the link and see if it helps. The device is pretty low cost (well in the U.K anyways)

http://www.ifm-electronic.com/ifmus/web/pmd_4.htm

Bolty

I am not sure if they have a canadian distributor but I like the Banner World Beam line. They are 24 vdc but have a range up to 20 meters in opposed or 10 meters in retro reflective. These tend to be a pretty cost effective line of sensors. Also the sensors can be ordered with quick connect cabels so if the senosr is ever broken you do not have to rerun the cable.

Here is the web page.
http://www.bannerengineering.com/products/subfam.php?subi_id=143

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I will look into these options.

I suppose that I should have been more clear and stated that my application is a simple break-beam detection system (i.e. discrete output), not a displacement measurement system.

As for what 'low-cost' means...I suppose as low as possible, while still functioning properly in the application. It looks like about $70 CDN for each emitter/receiver pair is about the best out there.

I am looking for about 4 pairs, and paying out of pocket for a personal application, so that is why the cost is important.

Thanks again!

I just saw a demo of a new Keyence. Can't remember the model number. The thru beam version detecting distance was 40 ft....... YEP. I dont know about the retro, but it was a very impressive sensor. Great stuff, if you can afford it.