Exter VS C-More

amigo

Hi,
I have not used any of these touch screen HMIs and want to get started by purchasing one of them.
I need to be able to communicate with multiple Hitachi Dirves(5) using modbus RTU.
Which one of the configuration softwares is the easiest to learn.
Any other benefits vs pitfalls between the two?

I have only used prizm 545 from Renu before.

Thanks.

I have not used the C-More product so I cannot make a comparison but I can say we have connected the Exter display (T100 to be exact) to a Moeller Drive which is a re-branded Hitachi drive.

The Moeller model is DV51. I'm not sure what the HItachi model is.

This was for a test only and didn't go into production. The reason we did the test was that a customer of ours was having problems with using a custom built controller w/ the Drive. We suspected his custom rolled Modbus commands were the culprit and in the end, after observing the Exter modbus driver communicate with the Drive without problems, he agreed.

DISCLAIMER: I work for an Exter (Beijer) distributor.

Thanks,
Can One exter talk to multiple units/slaves on rs485 link?
Ease of use of Exter setup program?

Last edited:
This is from the help file for Modbus on Exter:

Station handling for Modbus ASCII/RTU

For communication with other stations than the default station, the station number is given as a prefix to the device. This is stated either as a fixed number, or as an index register between I1 and I8.

Example:

05:40001 addresses holding register 40001 in station 5.

08:10001 addresses input status 10001 in station 8.

40001 addresses holding register 40001 in default station.

I1:40001 addresses holding register 40001 in the station stated in I1 Broadcast station

Station number 0 is reserved for broadcast, which means that writing to address 0 will affect all slaves at the same time. Since it is only possible to write to station 0, objects referring to station 0 will be empty until a value is entered.

We did not set up multiple stations with the drives but it should work as advertised.

Hi,

There are no problems to connect an Exter to several Modbus slaves (I've tested it myself).

Let me know if you have any further questions
//Supporter

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
How easy is it to learn the configuration software for exter?

Does Exter support Lonworks protocol in some form?

Is there a Canadian Distributor for these?

Last edited:
thanks supporter,
I like the idea of time channels very much.
I have not come across any HMI touch panel that implements scheduling in an easy and effective way.

Does the time channel interface automatically show up on Exter or the interface need to be graphically designed in Information Designer?

Thanks

Hi,

You can configure your time channels in Information Designer but it is also possible to change date/time for the time channels directly on the terminal. The only thing that is needed is a screen-jump to the time-channel screen (the time channel screen is pre-defined).

//Supporter

Hi,
Tried "Information Designer Demo", and all I have to say is: "Wow!"
Talk about full blown features.

Supporter,
I assume "Information designer" is not free, what is the approx list price in USD?

What is the main purpose of having EXTER and CIMREX?, I mean the touch panel versions seem to have pretty identical features.

Thanks.

List price for Information Designer in the US is $350.00.

In the past, Beijer USA has had a program where, for first time OEM users, they package an Exter or Cimrex panel with Information Designer and a programming cable at a significant discount. This price is less than the price of the panel by itself. They called these "Starter Kits". You should check with your local distributor to see whether they can get you this deal or not.

If you are a first time Beijer customer, you should be able to get it.

You will only get this deal on the first panel you purchase. Other panels will be at the regular price.

CIMREX vs. EXTER

The Cimrex line has been around for a long time. It was Beijer's main HMI line. While very capable, it had a dated look and feel.

The EXTER is the replacement for the Cimrex line but we are currently in a transition period between lines. There are a few drivers that were available on CIMREX that are not yet available on EXTER (Beijer is working on these). Also, some OEM's will take longer to transition their products over from CIMREX to EXTER.

The first CIMREX to be phased out will be the large 90 series. This has to do with some of the components being no longer available due to ROHS conversion at chip manufacturers. I'm sure other lines will be phased out as components are no longer available.

For all new applicaitons, we recommend using the EXTER panels as they will be around longer than the CIMREX and have many more built in features such as larger memory, ethernet, flash cards, better recipe handling, better text handling.... The only time we would use a CIMREX is if we need drivers for IAI robocylinders or multidrop Danaher Servostar drive applications.

Regards,

Hi,
Thanks nd, very helpful information.
Is there a north american distributor that you know of that displays list prices for all models online, or has an online store?

Thanks.