is it possible to copy the master key?

sajicsunny

Is it practically possible to copy the key from a 3 1/2 inch floppy.? i have the Rockwell's Rslogix 500,Rs linx and Key.
i know that it is illegal but through some sources i heard that it is possible. They said that the Key is nothing but a electronic label to open the software.
And some body else warned me by telling that the floppy is self destructive if some one tries to copy it.
what is the truth? can anyone please help?
thanx in advance

saji

In future Activation will not be in floppies you have to activate the Rockwell software from Internet only this will happen soon Mid of next year

i cannot take a risk bcoz the ownership of license is owned by our company. Any damage to the key will not be entertained.

saji

It is possible that sajicsunny merely wishes to create a secure backup of the key. There have been arguments here regarding the ethics of that.

The arguments may be less valid in that Rockwell does provide a method of running the software, even if the key on the hard drive is lost, by having the original master disk in the floppy drive. The key can also be reset by contacting RA.

If the intent is to allow more than one PC to run the software, though not at the same time, then the master floppy could be used or the key moved to a USB drive as ArikBY suggested.

It is not illegal to copy the disk, it is illegal to move the activation to more

then one computer. In fact it is advisable to copy the disk for save keeping.

The answer is yes. Your on your own.

bernie, beat me to it.

Settle the matter

I use a shareware utility called DiskFactory32 to back up Rockwell activation diskettes as disk images. I usually do not even make a new diskette with the image unless I need it.

For best results, use an older PC with a built-in floppy drive. Make sure that the activation file you need is actually on the floppy disk, and do not perform such a copy using a computer on which the software is currently running.

This is only legal to do for the purpose of creating an emergency backup of the diskette.

If you use it to create additional runtime copies of the software, then you are violating the Rockwell license agreement.

Easy Mate

Download floppy image and this will allow you to then copy your key to the hard drive, now you can make as many copies as you like after all you probably spent £2000 buying the software, so my view is abuse it, they get enough out of us for the rubbish they supply

There is no way that you can damage the disk by copying it's contents to another disk. I don't use AB stuff, but I would imagine that the contents and the volume label of the disk would have to be exactly the same in order for it to have any chance of working. I have it on good authority that most of the time, when you try to transfer licenses via disk, it will work for multiple computers if you copy the disk. The only problem would be that if the program checks the LAN for other computers running the same license, the program won't start unless you stop running the other instance.