winCC licence transfer without a: drive

emokar

as you know nearly all of new laptop PC's don't have a: drives.
i had bought WinCC flexible , and the license came in a diskette.
after that i bought a new laptop without a drive. So i cant transfer the licence file.
i am sure many of you came across the same trasfer. buying a usb diskette driver is the easiest solution, but i dont want to pay for a device i will use rarely. is there another way?

Licence transfer

Hello,

If you have another PC with floppy drive, you can network that PC with your Lap Top, map network drive and transfer keys with ALM (or AuthorsW) throught network.Very easy.o_O

i was forced to perform this operation using 2.5" hdd enclosed in usb->ide box, from A: -> mobile HDD and then to target Notebook without fdd drive, although some people say it si possible with usb flash drive, it did'nt work for my licence

There is a manual procedure to move the licence from one machine to another by alternately generating codes on one machine and then copying them to the other machiine. It takes four or five steps and it's time consuming and easy to make a mistake, but it can be done.

The easiest way is if you've got a USB port on both PCs because you can then store the codes on a memory stick, which is a lot more reliable than writing them down and then typing them in on the other PC.

You can find out how to do it by searching for "Offline Transfer" in the Help files for Automation Licence Manager

Krcedinac said:
Hello,

If you have another PC with floppy drive, you can network that PC with your Lap Top, map network drive and transfer keys with ALM (or AuthorsW) throught network.Very easy.o_O

it worked.. how couldn't i think this solution :(
thank you , Krcedinac

Doug_Adam said:
1 drive for 6 laptops, it works and is not expensive.

I make you right on that.

On a side note, USB floppy drives cost around £20, when I brought my personal laptop it cost me just over £1000, while I was in the store, I said to the sales person that if they want me to buy a laptop for £1000+ then they can give me a USB floppy drive free, this they gladly did.

Paul

Engineering is about costs , isn't it. Why should i pay for a device i will never use more than 5 times a year?

Anyway , talking about lack of A: driver , i have another question.
I don't have a serial comm port (RS232) on my laptop and i have been using usb-to-serial converter. Those converters sometimes can cause communication problems.So i decided to buy a PCMCIA card which provides a serial port.
i need advices about them. can someone advise me a brand?

Last edited:
See ALM Help file
winimageandalm3zl9.gif

You can use any Flash memory with ALM
winimag8selectdrivemg9.gif

Last edited:
emokar said:
Engineering is about costs , isn't it. Why should i pay for a device i will never use more than 5 times a year?

Anyway , talking about lack of A: driver , i have another question.
I don't have a serial comm port (RS232) on my laptop and i have been using usb-to-serial converter. Those converters sometimes can cause communication problems.So i decided to buy a PCMCIA card which provides a serial port.
i need advices about them. can someone advise me a brand?

http://www.quatech.com/

With the newer license-keys from siemens it is also possible to use memory-sticks even if the original came on a floppy.