PLC in power substation

jflaviorabelo

Does anyone know the use of PLCs for Utilities Substation Automation ? Eletric Substation.
Is there any restriction for that ?

Sequence of Events for Relays was a restriction. But I believe it was solved ? Can anyone comment on that.

Substations

I installed the A-B PLC-5/20e and PLC-5/40e and used PV-1400e touch screens as a S.C.A.D.A. system for three main incoming substations and fifty branch substations, communicating over a three ring Ethernet WAN. This was for a Steel Mill in the United States, I was able to do total monitoring and control on all breakers and aerials except the incoming 138,000.vac, I could only monitor those because those circuits belonged to Ohio First Energy power Company.

Roger

I know that ABB is using Modicon Momentem PLC's in their substations along with Tele HMI's.

Mike, I would appreciate how you would know this. ABB makes or labels a plc of their own, why would they use someone else's for any purpose?

Did ABB mean something besies Asea, Brown and Boveri?

Alabama Power is a division of Southern Companies so I dont see how that can be applied to ABB. Many parts of Alabama are actually serviced by TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) by lease to Alabama Power.

I am just curious HOW you know this and what substations you are refering too.

rsdoran,

I know because the company I worked for was involved a few years ago in the design and implementation of this system, which is installed in ABB substation, and transformer units made in Alamo TN. They are still buying and installing these units today. This is how I know, because I was involved im the early stages of the first units being installed.

Mike