Configure transmitter using Hart communicator

Pandiani

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello guys,

I need your help. I need to configure one temperature transmitter using Hart communicator 275. In data sheet of transmitter I have read it can be configured using HC 275. Transmitter support both RTD (Pt 100) and Thermoelements (such as type K – NiCrNi).When I attach communicator it allows me to configure range and it behaves very well when Pt100 is connected )normal PV reading, normal mA). However when I connect NiCrNi theroelement, current is 3.5 mA and temperature reading is -203 deg C which is low sensor limit which is clearly indication of error. By browsing menues I cannot find „sensor type“ or similar where I would chose appropriate input to transmitter (RTD or thermoelement). Transmitter is Wika's product. Is it possible this is because HC 275 is rather old and maybe it needs new DD definitions in order to work properly.

Did you have similar experience?

What would you suggest me to do?

Thanks for help

If your device is not covered by s specific HART DD, then there is a set of generic HART fucntions that any HART compatible device will respond to.

Attached is a Excel spreadsheet list of what I was told were HART generic functions, along with some settings.

The important ones are down near the bottom of the list::
LRV: Lower range value
URV: upper Range value
Primary variable
PV units (engineering units, like Deg F or Deg C)

The settings indicate it was from a pressure transmitter, not a temperature transmitter.

But I suspect that "choice of input type" is not one of the generic functions, since that does not show up on this list, nor have you been able to find it on your communicator.

There is a possibility that the generic instructions are not fully loaded on your communicator:

------- http://www.hartcomm.org/newsmain/newsletter/hartlinearchive/hl1997.pdf
-------
Question: What happens if you connect a HART Communicator to an “unknown” HART device?

Answer: The 275 Communicator is equipped with a generic interface that allows communication with HART compatible devices even if the DD for that device is not loaded. This generic interface is driven by three DDs which enable communication with all HART compatible devices through Universal and Common Practice Commands.

To verify that the generic DDs are loaded into the communicator, perform the button sequence defined above, and select “Rosemount.” The three DDs should appear in the “Model” listing as “Generic.” Full access to all device-specific functions of a given device requires that the DD for that
device be loaded in the HART Communicator.
-------------- -----------------------

On really old communicators, you had to specify which device DDs could be dropped from the internal list, in order to add others, because memory was so limited.

The link goes to the HART foundation psge for an order form to update communicators:
http://www.hartcomm.org/support/275programming/275programming.html

Dan

Thank you for your reply danw,

I can confirm that I certainly have these options to change:

Range Unit

LRL

LRV

URL

URV

Damping

Minimum Span

PV Percentage

Primary Variable

PV Unit

and perhaps some other but I cannot remember right now. If I understood your response correctly, it is very likely that my temperature transmitter is not covered with Hart DD loaded in communicator so only limited number of generic functions is available. Since transmitter is previously configured with RTD input, I can change URV, LRV, PV unit and damping and it works without problems. Since there is no DD for this transmitter, „sensor type“ feature is not available.

Further more, it seems that there is no free of charge way to upgrade DD descriptions. I thought that, there is some kind of freely downloadable software with some kind of binary file which can be used for update communicator through RS 232 interface on communicator.

Please, can you confirm this?

Thanks again

Pandiani said:
If I understood your response correctly, it is very likely that my temperature transmitter is not covered with Hart DD loaded in communicator so only limited number of generic functions is available. Since transmitter is previously configured with RTD input, I can change URV, LRV, PV unit and damping and it works without problems. Since there is no DD for this transmitter, „sensor type“ feature is not available.
Yes, that's what I think is happening.
Pandiani said:
Further more, it seems that there is no free of charge way to upgrade DD descriptions.
I am unaware of any means of updating a 275 without sending it back to an authorized service center. Many times, the vendors (mnaufacturers) for HART devices will have become an authorized service ceneter for HART and have the capability of updating a 275. I know Honeywell did. You might inquire as to whether Wika does or not.

Pandiani said:
I thought that, there is some kind of freely downloadable software with some kind of binary file which can be used for update communicator through RS 232 interface on communicator..

That is the HUGE difference between the new 375 and the older 275. THe 375 has some means of downloading and installing DDs by the user. But a new 375 is $3,000+ USD ? ? ?

Maybe there is some free software out there for updating, but I don't know what it is.

Dan

Okay, thanks.

In the picture in attachment you can see software window that gives options to switch between mV (thermoelement) and Ω (resistance type sensor).

I have found software for configuring transmitters on Wika's page and it's free. However, it needs to have FSK (HART) modem. So we need to buy modem first. I have found this modem:

http://www.procomsol.com/hm-usb.htm

Can you make any recommendation? Should I pay special attention to something when buying modem for this purpose?

Looks like Wika is on the ball (doing the right thing) by having a utility that uses a HART modem.

I have used both serial and USB MacTek brand HART modems. The serial modem requires one to change a setting in the COM port settings on a Win2000 system, but it's documented.

What I like about MacTek is that it includes a utility program that checks the connection to the HART device, by reading the PV on one second intervals. That is really handy when there's a connection issue and you want to know if the HART modem can "see" the device. If the connection utility doesn't see the device, then you know where to start looking (power supply, 250 ohm resistor, is the transmitter working?).

I bought a Nivelco brand HART modem about a year ago and it did not come with drivers or documentation. I called the distributor, he told me no drivers were needed, so there was no CD or manual. Wrong. I found the manufacturer's site from info on the label, got a PDF for the device and it stated that the required driver was on another site (the actual HART chip manufacturer's site), not even their own. The chip manufacturer's site was loaded with drivers, but it wasn't clear which was the right one. At that point I gave up and sent it back.

It might have worked, but compared to the package MacTek was selling, it wasn't worth it.

I haven't used the Procomsol, but you might ask beforehand whether it really comes with a driver or not. The bullet point
- easy to install Virtual Serial Port for any Windows application
infers that it does, though.

One other note, sometimes distributors/reps have a HART communicator and will make a change for you for a real modest fee. Have you asked the guy you bought the Wika from whether he can change it?

Dan

Did you mean drivers for operating system (we use Win XP)?
I can't belive it's possible that manufacturer selling product without drivers risking that windows recognize modem as "unknown device" and thus risking customer's confidence.
Anyway we need to be able to configure transmitters ourselves.
Thanks danw, you really helped me!