Profibus and profinet max distance

Gromit

Hello

Whats the maximal distance we can cover with Profibus and profinet networks without repeaters?
Well, with repeaters also?

Regards

depends on your speed, the faster your comm the shorter the distance.

I believe 1.5M has a max of about 150m between repeaters and I think 3 repeaters max in network (Siemens have a manual that I'll look up if no-one answers definately).

There is also a limit of the number of nodes per segment (the bits bewteen repeaters) if I remember right.

This link here

http://support.automation.siemens.com/US/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo&objaction=csopen&objid=23267410&nodeid0=23267410&foldersopen0=-176-177-178-229-299-300-&lang=en&siteid=cseus&aktprim=0&extranet=standard&subtype=133300

Is to a good installation manual, for some reason I cannot download more tham 91%. Not sure if its my fault or their site, I have downloaded it before (not with this laptop though).

It shouldn't matter is you are not using Siemens, the Profibus installation should still be to the same standards.

Last edited:
As Peter stated the maximum length is dependant on the baud rate.

9.6KB to 187.5KB is 1000m
500KB is 400m
1.5KB is 200m
Any speed above 1.5KB is limited to 100m

The above is for Profibus DP.

I am not sure about Profinet, what is the maximum length of standard ethernet comms?

Paul