FX-2N with GX Developer Calling MITSI Experts!

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi

Been a long time since i programmed a mitsi, last time was the new fx series with medoc!

Now i have GX developer and can spend a few days playing as i have an FX2N-16 (with rs232 port) & G3 HMI unit on my desk.

Now i can program and am used to an AB world so what i could do with some sort of Quick Start that lists all Data tables and program Commands and any special registers?

Inputs and outputs are octal based but data registers and internal bits etc are decimal based.
Data registers start at D0 to D7999 on that model, they are 16 bit registers, to store a 32 bit number 2 consequitive registers are used.
You can set up to 512 registers retentive in plc parameters.

In fact if you look in plc parameters on gx dev you will see how many of what, you get with that model.

Thanks Goody

What are the M register ? (Like the AB B registers?)

And how do i address a bit of a Data Register, like N7:14/1

Or is this not possible and do i just use another type of register for bits ?

How do i set the time base and time for a timer in gx developer ? It looks like i just use an output coil with a T reference for a timer, presumably this is an on delay.

Any special blocks, functions or commands ? Like first shot etc Time clock etc ?

Hey 504,

M's are equivilent to B's D's are similar to N's
XIC=LD
XIO=LDI
OTE=OUT
0TL=SET
OTU=RST
TIMER AND COUNTER ARE T0 OR C0 AND THE .PRE CAN BE A K (IE T0 K50) OR THEY Can be a D register (T0 D200)
An OSR is a LDP, an OSF is a LDF as an input instruction or you can add a P to an output instruction to make it a ONS (outP)
PLF (pulse falling) PLS (pulse rising)
There is an ALT output instruction which is pretty cool, it toggles the output on a state change of the input.

If you use D registers for the presets of your timers and counters make sure you select retenive registers to prevent loosing you presets.

You may find it awkward to go from RSL to GXdev. I don't like the software interface nearly as much, but once you get the hang of it, it gets the job done. It will drive you crazy for the first few hours very time you switch back and forth.

Good Luck

Marc

PS if you run into any bumps, give us a shout. I have to switch back and forth all the time so I have some experaince with your upcomming pain (analog modules....eeeekkkkk)!

Last edited:
Marc said:
Hey 504,

M's are equivilent to B's D's are similar to N's
XIC=LD
XIO=LDI
OTE=OUT
0TL=SET
OTU=RST
TIMER AND COUNTER ARE T0 OR C0 AND THE .PRE CAN BE A K (IE T0 K50) OR THEY Can be a D register (T0 D200)
An OSR is a LDP, an OSF is a LDF as an input instruction or you can add a P to an output instruction to make it a ONS (outP)
PLF (pulse falling) PLS (pulse rising)
There is an ALT output instruction which is pretty cool, it toggles the output on a state change of the input.

If you use D registers for the presets of your timers and counters make sure you select retenive registers to prevent loosing you presets.

You may find it awkward to go from RSL to GXdev. I don't like the software interface nearly as much, but once you get the hang of it, it gets the job done. It will drive you crazy for the first few hours very time you switch back and forth.

Good Luck

Marc

PS if you run into any bumps, give us a shout. I have to switch back and forth all the time so I have some experaince with your upcomming pain (analog modules....eeeekkkkk)!

Thanks Marc,

Thats just what i needed!

As for the Analogues thats my next question, ill have 4 4way 4-20 analogue modules on the unit (FX2N 128 MR ES)

So whats the trouble with analogues ?

They will be taking in a 4-20mA signal from a Lem Heme Current Transducer being something like 0-100 Amps (I am guessing this).

So does the unit do scaling or is there a scale command ?

And on first impressions on GxDeveloper....... YUK

Ha ha ha, Agreed, I was just trying to be politically correct.

The analog modules need to be configured by using TO/From instructions to write module config values and read data values back. You need to figure out the data structure of the "buffer memory" locations in the module and set up your parameters in hex. You then have to read the data from buffer memory and scale it using whatever method best suits your needs moving it into a d register or a double d register. Each modlue is diffent so expect to spend some time with each one to figure out exactly what to read and write to where.

It's just a pain in the neck imho. I like the little drop down lists that RSL uses to configure modules, though I do remember the old RSL500 and PLC5 days. If you get a module number for the analog, I can send you an example of what you need to write.

Marc

Very Very Useful Discussion, We will keep adding more and more information related to GX Developer and FX Seires PLC's. I am unable to understand Data Handling single word, double word etc.
Can anybody explain?
Thanks in advance.
Riyaz

Marc said:
Ha ha ha, Agreed, I was just trying to be politically correct.

The analog modules need to be configured by using TO/From instructions to write module config values and read data values back. You need to figure out the data structure of the "buffer memory" locations in the module and set up your parameters in hex. You then have to read the data from buffer memory and scale it using whatever method best suits your needs moving it into a d register or a double d register. Each modlue is diffent so expect to spend some time with each one to figure out exactly what to read and write to where.

It's just a pain in the neck imho. I like the little drop down lists that RSL uses to configure modules, though I do remember the old RSL500 and PLC5 days. If you get a module number for the analog, I can send you an example of what you need to write.

Marc

Thanks Marc

Its an FX2N-4AD ill have 4 of them in total using 15 channels

Each channel configured for 4-20mA Scaled to 0-100.0 Amps

Maximum Resolution

If you can set sample rate then every 10 seconds is fine!

The other question is the FX2N-232-BD - Is this purely plug it in and it works or do i need to tell the processor i have added a card in the software ? Likewise similar question for the 4AD Modules ?

Marc said:
Timers are all .01 sec, no selectable time base for the FX

Marc

Just reading some manuals and found this reference to timers on the FX.

Looks like by selecting a different timer you can have a different time base ??

FX2NTimers.jpg

Another Question

Can i have more than one routine in GX Developer for the ladder.

If so how do i do it, I just seem to be blinkered at the moment ?

I have the MAIN routine but if i create a new one the MAIN dissapears ?

Master control

I think you can use Master control & Master control reset for different routine (Nested Programming).

You can find more information about the same in Mitsubishi Porgramming Manual.

You can only have one Main but you can seperate the program up using pointers. You would simply type Px (x is the pointer number that you want to use. e.g. P1). Then you can call the pointer by using the call command. (e.g. CALL P1)

Note. The rung that you use will have to have a contact on it to enable the call. M8000 is an always on contact M8001 is always off and M8002 is first scan. You will also have to seperate the code by using the ret command on the line before the first pointer that you want to be able to call and then use the ret command at the end of every pointer.

[Edit] Had to play around with my ASCII Drawing

...|--| |---------------------[Call P1]-|
...| M8002.......................................|
...|--------------------------[Ret....]-|
...|.................................................|
P1|--| |---------------------(Y0.....)-|
...| M8000.......................................|
...|--------------------------[Ret....]-|
...|--------------------------[End...]-|

You dont have to address the extra units you add on but you will have to setup the analouge moudules. The I/O will just follow on in sequence on the extra blocks. The analouges use the TO command to set them up but this should be shown on the info that came with them.

You then use the From command to obtain information information. I havent used analouge for a while but I believe that it comes in as a 0-4000 signal which you would need to manipulate. Best to check with the documentation for the units.

Jonny

Last edited: