Mits. Alpfa series

I don't know enough about the Mitsubishi line to be sure if we're talking about the same thing but....

My communications manual for the Quick Panel HMIs has reference to the 'Mitsubishi Melsec-A' series. I don't know if the 'A' in the Quick Panel manual refers to Mitsubishi Alpha series.

The manual states:

"The target display can communicate with a Mitsubishi processor using the AJ71C24 computer interface module in a A1CPU, A2CPU, and A3CPU. The AJ71C24 CIM can be used with the following base units: A32B, A35B, A38B, A55B, A58B, A65B, A68B."

Nice logical guess guys but the Alpha is not the 'A' series.

The alpha is one of those little crappy progammable relay thingys yuuuck.

I have had a play with one of these things, I was not in the least impressed.

They are something to play with if you have absolutely no idea about programming PLC's.

They use a sort of 'logic gate' symbol programming AND OR XAND XOR etc.
If you use more than 7 or 8 gates, the connecting lines cross everywhere and you cannot follow what goes to what.

I commented at the time that they would be ok for a central heating controller.

As for an visual interface, I would doubt there is one. The little screen on the alpha is supposed to show what is happening but it is limited to which inputs and outputs are on and maybe the real time.

They have one thing in their favour, they are cheap and the software is free (if you buy the starter pack)

I had to alter someones program on one once, the bad memory still lingers. I wish I had the program on this computer, I would post a picture of the mish-mash of interconnecting lines that you are supposed to follow.

Remember the old fashioned schematic diagrams without a common voltage rail top and bottom. The ones where you needed a magnifying glass and pencil to keep on the track you were following. They are revisited in the Alpha.

My mistake (there goes my record).

Goody, you are correct. In fact, according to the Mitsubshi web site "The Alpha is a new class of controller, not a PLC..."

Thanks for feedback, I went to my supplier and there is no operator interface. I thought this might be the case, sometimes we all want a Cadillac when working with a Pinto.
Yes the graphic programming gets cluttered very quickly but it is still better than trying to program though the interface screen on the unit.
These things do have their place. I ran the numbers and one of the units is cheaper and faster to wire than bunch of relays. Especially if the project has many units that are going to be exactly the same.

Jim

Im sure thats exactly what they are for, to replace a few relays, timers and counters on a batch of small machines.

The spec when you read it sounds impressive.

They will accept AC or DC inputs anolouge or digital. The output relays have a high current relay, a real time clock. Internal timed pulses configurable for off and on delay. And a simulation program too.

But you try and debug someone else's program and it is seriously testing. You have to print the thing out and then go over the lines with a marker to decide which gate is on and which is off in any given situation.

I remember the problem I had, it was that two outputs needed interlocking so that only one at a time could be on. The original programmer had not done this. It took me hours to work out how to get the gates right. And I had to add more spaghetti to the already confusing spaghetti.