Ultra 3000i trouble

JeremyH

I have an AB Ultra 3000i (2098-DSD-020X-DN) and Ultraware 1.2. I have created a null modem connection between my PC and the drive. When I let ultraware scan for the device it never finds anything. Any idea's?

Thanks

Is anything else using the com port? Is Linx configured for a serial connection? I always have to delete either my Pic or Df-1 and shut down linx as it takes over the com port.

Yes I have shut down linx because when I first forgot to do that I got an error right away from ultraware about the port.

If I try to insert an ultra3000 in the software my model number is present but it still may need to be upgraded so I will try that for now.

Thanks

If I was all hooked up and started UltraWare, it would auto-scan but miss my drives. However if I manualy re-scaned,(Tools/rescan) it would then pick them up.
This was with version 1.63 and 2098-DSD-HV030X drives.

You may want to check the pinout of the Ultra3000 serial port as it is not a standard serial connection. The RS232 and RS485 signals are both accessed through the same port, so a regular null modem cable might not have the right connections.

I can't say this for certain because I have always used the AB-supplied cable.. but I DO know that we have tried to use that cable for other applications where a null-modem cable is normally used, and it DID NOT work... leading me to believe that it is a special cable.

Hope this helps.

Actually kolyur you have the correct answer. I actually decided to reverify my cable before I got to check back for replies. I altered my cable and checked it out with a meter and this time it works fine. I do get the error stating that my software may be too old to support some parameters but its working well enough for what I need.

Thanks for everyone's help

It must be a standard null-modem connection, because my boss has an Ultra 3000i connected to his laptop right now. He's using a 1756-CP3 cable (null-modem) and a gender changer at the drive. You might want to ring-out your cable.