Siemens logo networking

Maj. Toxido

Hi! to all

If it`s possible that the siemens logo can communicate to a network
PC. For example, I have a project with is a conveying line. The function of it is to read the barcode of the boxes which is entering the conveying line. I will use sick bar code reader for this. The boss wan`t to monitor the barcode data thru his PC & also for the warehouse people.

Thank`s in advance!(y)

Regards:

Sherwin:D

Hi Sherwin

I am not that familiar with the Siemens Logo so I visited the Siemens website, they didn't seem to have a simple solution. If you don't get a definite answer on the board here then send a support email to Siemens, I have always found them very helpful. One thing you could look at would be to use a Serial to Ethernet converter (Google "serial to ethernet") which would give you remote access to the programming port on the Logo, how you access the data is another problem. Only other option that comes to mind would be to swap out the Logo for another Smart Relay or PLC. I use the Moeller Easys a lot and they have just added the Easy209-SE which adds an OPC server to any of the up-to-date Easys. I am just waiting for a job to come up so that I can have an excuse to play, only down side is that they are charging around ÂŁ150.00 for it.

Regards

Bryan

Logo Siemens

Hallo,

I made some projects on Logo.

Logo is simpliest of Siemens, working slowly (about 200ms scan rate).

It is great tool for simply projects, like stairway light control, but projects more complicated is difficult to operate.

I have tried to make calculation from V to mm. In the middle of programming I recognised that i will exceed all the possibilities of LOGO.

My proposal is - try something else

Thank`s to all that reply.:site:

My other option is to use SIEMENS S7-300 PLC for my application, so that I can network the communication of barcode reader to PLC then PLC to maybe a server or main master computer that will transmitt all the data to different computer.

Again Thank`s;)

Regards:

Sherwin

I don't believe it can do such. I once removed a LOGO and replaced it with a 200 so that I could have an HMI. I would recommend a S7-226 with a CP 243 (Ethernet) module. The package can be about 700 USD. You will have 2 ports on the 200, one for programming local and one for you barcoder. The ethernet can be a webserver so your boss can sit on his tail and look at stuff in the PLC without walking out to the line...

Wilome said:
I would recommend a S7-226 with a CP 243 (Ethernet) module. You will have 2 ports on the 200, one for programming local and one for you barcoder. The ethernet can be a webserver so your boss can sit on his tail and look at stuff in the PLC without walking out to the line...

As I know the software of S7-200 is microwin, I don`t have a software of it. Maybe I could proposed S7-200 PLC to may boss, for alternative of S7-300 which is much more cheaper in price. We are currently using S7-300 & S7-400 which support simatic manager software 🍺

Commercially there's a lot of sense in Sherwin sticking to the S7-300/400 families. If he's already equipped with the software, and has existing installations on the site, I would always recommend seeking a solution from the tools you've got.

If an S7-300 was too expensive for this application, then by all means drop a range and examine the S7-200, but why, oh why, drop two ranges and try to consider a programmable switch like the Logo? I don't think I have even seen any Siemens literature refer to the Logo as a PLC - they seem to call it (hold on, I'll just check their web-site.....) a logic module. Ramaslabas said -
It is great tool for simply projects, like stairway light control, but projects more complicated is difficult to operate.
I have tried to make calculation from V to mm. In the middle of programming I recognised that i will exceed all the possibilities of LOGO.
I'm not convinced it's "difficult to operate". I just think there are wrong applications for it. And to get to the middle of programming an application before recognising you've got the wrong tool for the job has a suggestion of poor planning.

Technically, I don't know what function any PLC is going to play in Sherwin's application. So far, all I can see he's asked for is a barcode interface to feed data to his boss's PC. What is a PLC going to control? Or is it to be an input device only? Is there any other way of getting barcode data to the PC? I've checked the Sick web-site and they seem to do IP-equipped scanners.

More info needed, Sherwin, better problem definition.

Regards

Ken

It'l be better to use IP-equipped scanners, as Ken mentioned. But if it isn't possible, you nevertheless cann't use Logo for this task because of lack of communication possibilities. You can use S7-200 equipped with CP243-1 and S7-200 PC Access software.
But if I have to solve this task, I choose Schneider Twido because it has Modbus TCP easy linked to HMI. I don't know how it's in world, but in Latvia new software Twido Suite is free of charge.

Ken M said:
Technically, I don't know what function any PLC is going to play in Sherwin's application. So far, all I can see he's asked for is a barcode interface to feed data to his boss's PC. What is a PLC going to control? Or is it to be an input device only? Is there any other way of getting barcode data to the PC? I've checked the Sick web-site and they seem to do IP-equipped scanners.

More info needed, Sherwin, better problem definition.

This is the story of the project, There is a control pannel which is hard wire that controls 2 conveyor system by means of HMI. The problem is the control panel have no electrical wiring & at the same time no documentation manual:confused: ( 3rd party do it. )My boss is new to the company & so am I. The enginner & technical people don`t want to cooperate cause the 3rd party turn it over to them, the sad part of it is it won`t worko_O . Now the boss want to modify the system, he sad if LOGO can do it we will use it. The barcode function is to read the code in the box which is run by the conveying sytem, If no code in the box conveyor stop then it will trriger an alarm ( This is the first part of the project ) so that we use the system. The second part is to communicate a network to the barcode scanner to the PC ( My boss & WAREHOUSE people ) for monitoring & documentation of it. I see that the Siemens LOGO cannot do my application for this.

One more thing the company is in tight budget;)

Another amezing feature of S7-200 is thath you can use PCAccess as OPC server for MS Excel as klient. And read all the data in Excel spreadsheets trugh ethernet. Configuriation is all wizard like!!!! :oops:

Why not recommend to your boss that he buy you a starter kit? Siemens sells a highly discounted starter kit which includes the S7-200 PLC, programming cable, manual, and full software. If the program is in a Logo, there is no reason to jump to S7-300.

And the only networking for Logo is as ASInterface slave or an Instabus slave, no master capabilities. It's not a PLC, it's a smart relay. PLCs offer networking, not relays.

Have you tried with PLC from Keyence (www.keyence.com). Their KV series are in pricing class as SENENS LOGO but some of then have two COM ports. Try to find your local representative for information. They are also selling bar code readers for their PLCs.

As far as I know LOGO has only one interface module, and that in AS interface thought optional card all the other are I/O.