Level Sensor for Dusty Hopper

DaveW

We have an `25" hopper that we want to determine low level on. The product is a dusty silicon based powder. Can anyone recommend a level sensor that will work in this environment? We are looking at some ultrasonic but unsure if it will stand up to the dusty environment.

In the past I have run into the same kind of problem with a stroage silo. We finally put a load cell in onr of the leggs did an offset for wind load it worked well. also used a load cell on a holding hopper for level it worked well also.

brett93304 said:
In the past I have run into the same kind of problem with a stroage silo. We finally put a load cell in onr of the leggs did an offset for wind load it worked well. also used a load cell on a holding hopper for level it worked well also.

That's a great idea! Should be fairly simple to do for a small hopper too.

If you are on the cheap, you can use a bindicator. For those that don't know, it's a rotating paddle that torques when it gets in material and actuates a c form switch. Its old tech but it still works well. We use it for carbon black with very few issues.

DJM said:
That's a great idea! Should be fairly simple to do for a small hopper too.

If you are on the cheap, you can use a bindicator. For those that don't know, it's a rotating paddle that torques when it gets in material and actuates a c form switch. Its old tech but it still works well. We use it for carbon black with very few issues.

I agree. The grain and milling industries use bindicators almost exclusively for digital switch points, Low Level, Mid Level, High Level. Another method is to use a Turck photoeye aimed at the product through a site glass.

Ian

We use capacitive Prox switches in our sand hoppers, which are extremely dusty. Can get you the part number is you want.