Allen-Bradley 1336 Impact Parameter Limits

DickDV

I am trying to set up one of these drives on a high speed test cell where the max speed is 14900rpm.

Parameters 40 and 41 (Rev Speed Limit and Fwd Speed Limit) are supposed to be settable above 10000rpm but I can't get above 9999.9rpm. It seems that the decimal point needs to be removed for the extra digit but I don't see how to do it.

Anybody out there to help me?

Are you using the "HIM" keypad interface, or the DriveTools software ? Is there an error code or other result when you try to put in the large value ?

Rev Speed Limit 40 -6xBMS rpm/0.0 rpm

Fwd Speed Limit 41 0.0rpm/+6xBMS rpm

Dick,

These two parameters look as though they are dependant on this factor called BMS. I am not familiar with this drive nor the abbreviation BMS, but is that Base Motor Speed? If so, then the limits are probably allowed based on this setting. I looked over the other parameters and did not see any labeled BMS but this is all I can see to help you.

Ken, I'm using the HIM. It seems there is only room for five numbers and the decimal point. The default is with the decimal point showing and the number is expressed in XXXX.X. I need XXXXX and that is the way the drive was programmed when I first started working on it. I changed the 14900 in both locations to 7000 to do some tuning and found that it wouldn't go back to 14900 when I tried to reset it. I know it can be done somehow because it was that way before I started to work on it.

randylud, bms is base motor speed which, in this case is 7130rpm. That's high enough to permit a setting of 14900rpm in these locations. As mentioned to Ken above, 14900 was in these locations before I temporarily changed them to 7000. At least, I thought it was temporary!

The User Manual Page C-12 states " If your HIM Version is 1.07 Series B, then it does not support: The ability for the HIM to remove one DECIMAL POINT from the parameters with values too large to display."

In other words you may have to use drive tools.

If you can, use the SELect key to move the flashing block cursor to the left of the 1000's place to the (now blank) ten thousands place, then press the up/down arrows, a value will appear and you can set it to one.

If you can't get the cursor over to that spot, you may be required to use DriveExplorer software and the special cable to connect to the scanport on the drive.

I think the cable is a 1203-sss, and drive explorer lite is free, probably downloadable.

EDIT:http://www.ab.com/drives/driveexplorer/free_download.html

Point-to-Point for 1336 Drives Cable:
1203-SSS serial converter or 1203-USB

Last edited:
Not that this will help you any...

Originally posted by DickDV:

randylud, bms is base motor speed which, in this case is 7130rpm.

Does that base speed use a 120 Hz frequency basis? I've never worked with high speed motors so this just looks a little odd.

Keith

Thanks everyone for your kind help on this. I found two different styles of HIM's, both 1.07 version and neither one worked.

The solution was to find someone else with the software and have them change the two parameters. What a pain in the neck!

kamenges, the motors here are special purpose motors, induction and two pole. In this test cell, the motor has a base speed of 7130rpm at 120Hz and a maximum speed of 14926rpm at 250Hz.

This same facility has similar motors running up to 22500rpm which seems to be the state-of-the-art for oil mist bearings in these motor sizes---100 to 500hp. Makes for some challenging setups but enjoyable work, none the less. And, if the speeds aren't challenge enough, no-load to full-load speed error cannot be more than 25rpm at any speed.